Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Distrubutor recurve

Has anyone done or attempted to have their distributor recurved to have the advance come in earlier. I had this done on a muscle car and really woke it up after some mods.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    So you need to find a distributor that's the same type and take the lighter spring from it to swap for the heavier spring in the distributor you're modding. Then calculate the total degrees of advance needed for your application and try to dial it in, whether it's by tweaking the counterweights, the stops or whatever is restricting centrifugal advance and by setting it via TDC. There's a lot in there to absorb - and I didn't see a mention of vacuum advance in there? If it requires no vac, the distributor from a 4G64 will be the ticket. I thought my thread for calculating what carb to pick for an engine upgrade was kind of daunting to soak up...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Vac advance can be more or less ignored, no vac advance at about 30% advancement. Weights can be made heavier or lighter by drilling (and tap in a heavy piece if needed, like balancing a crank), you can buy assorted distributor springs online. Tho you can get away with junkyard searching or spring modification, spring winders will make them to spec also.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks guys!