Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

new owner-86 Ranger 2.3 Diesel

Last month, I bought an 86 Ranger Diesel and have been trying to find all the info about this motor as I could. That's what led me to join this site...I didn't know the D50 came with the same motors as an option. I'm in the middle of replacing both timing belts are a precaution...as well as other little things that I've found. One of which is the coolant temp sensor for the dash gauge. The old one resembles a Ford knock sensor and I don't see the portion that sticks out into the coolant stream. Can I replace this with a more modern sensor? I've grounded the plug that goes to the sensor and the dash gauge slowly swings to full hot and a buzzer starts sounding about half way, so all that is working properly. Also, why does the sensor appear to have 2 prongs, yet there is only one wire going to it from the wiring harness?

Next is the air filter. It still has the stock air box on it, and the only number I can see on the old filter is 546131. It has an orange outer foam material, so I was thinking it might be WIX or Fram or Purolator...yet I can't come up with anything using the 546131 part number. Any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    The problem is, ford made a lot of things on the engine their own...as ford tends to do, like the vacuum pump.
    I would check with carquest to see if they can cross that filter number. Also are you sure its not an 85? I am almost positive 85 was the only year the ranger had the 4d55 as an option, and older was the 2.2 perkins

coolant sensor wise, replacements all have 2 pin (for automatic transmissions that need a sensor for when to allow overdrive) so its cheaper to make one with 2 pins than 2 different sensors.

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks for the reply. It's indeed an '86...built in May, IIRC. Good idea on carquest...or maybe NAPA could find something. There is a thread here about a mystery sensor on the side of the head near the injector lines. The sensor I'm talking about is the same sensor...and I've determined that this sensor just threads into the head, but doesn't extend into the coolant stream. I did some testing on it and found that one prong is grounded and the other switches to trigger the warning alarm. To my surprise, it works...so I'll just re solder the connections. The strange part is that the sensor has the 2 prongs as I mentioned, but it has only one wire that extends from the plug which plugs into the wiring harness. Strange. I thought that I could T into the front sensor(near #1 injector) and run a modern coolant temp sensor that actually will give a more accurate reading of coolant temperature.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    rangers were available with the 4d55 from 85 to 87. they sold over 220,000 of them from some numbers I have seen, but have no way to verify.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    How far should I let the motor wind out before I shift? What RPM?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    5200rpm is the redline if i remember right, dont think it makes any power above 3000rpm though

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Our 4D55 motors are governed out to 4200 rpm, which is convenient because that is also when it makes highest rated power. 80hp for TC05 motors, 86hp for TD04 motors. I usually rev mine to about 2900-3200 rpm before I shift, but I'm also running 4.222 rear end gears, so yours may behave a little differently depending on your gearing.

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    That's when the Rangers tach starts to show redline. 4500RPM...and goes to 6K. I've been shifting it at 2500 max and was hesitant to let it go any higher. I figure peak torque is at 2K RPM, so when it falls into the next gear, it will be at or near peak torque. I'm also shifting with fuel mpg in mind.

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Rear end is 3.45 fwiw.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Have any pics?

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    The biggest downside to the ranger version is the ford only alternator+bracket, AC+bracket, Vacuum pump+bracket, and Serph balancer. the normal everywhere else version has the alt at bottom of passenger side of engine with vacuum pump on back of it, and a/c compressor on driver bottom.
    Not sure where ford has the power steering pump, but the normal is passenger side above the alternator.

Just me commenting on the pics

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    The power steering pump is below the A/C compressor and the vacuum pump is below the alternator. I haven't looked at what brand the PS pump is, but it's not one of Fords run of the mill pumps. It may be a factory Mitsubishi unit, idk. This truck appears to have an original 81K miles although it has seen some wear and has also been towed behind an RV at some point in its life. It also hasn't been on the road(until now) since 2007. I plan to run it on veggie oil in the near future...should be a neat project. Timing belts were the first thing I replaced on the motor along with a few other items.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I wouldn't run pure Veggie oil, especially used, unless you make sure it is clean. The injection pumps are old and worn, and veggie oil can clog them up quickly.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Isn't there a way to DIY refine cooking oil so it's safe? I've seen it clean the innards out of diesel engines like magic.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yup you can set up a basic filter and do some transesterfacation and run 100% chip oil no worries. Engine will run for years on homebrew stuff no issues

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    From what I've seen, there is a 3 step filtration process that the WVO needs to go through, then it has to sit for some time to allow any left over impurities to settle to the bottom of the container. I still have more research to do on the process of running on WVO, but this is my understanding so far.