Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Pitman shaft seal?

Have 90 2.4l extended base w/power steering. Can't find lower pitman seal. 2 dealers checked from vin but they don't fit. They say part MB166508. It is 35mm x 46mm. Mine is approx. 30mm x 42mm. Itis original steering gear.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    The 4wd one is bigger according to the parts numbers. I got my power steering box rebuild kit from rock auto (if you check their listings they have the measurements of the 4wd and 2wd seals, confirm yours)

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Confirmed w/ dealer on 2wd and bought one from rockauto that read 2wd hydraulic/pnuematic but gave no dimensions. It came in at 30.2mm x 42mm and it would leak slowly around the shaft and soon blowout because it would not hold from being a shade small. And I di know how to install.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    It should be the right part, if there's visible wear in the shaft you may leak, otherwise it will be fine when fitted.

To fit (I find it easier to just remove the box rather than do it in the truck) remove the pitman arm from the box. Pry out the old seal (can do this with a self tapping screw through the seal and pull out with vice grips). Any oil left in the box will now pour out. Clean the shaft and seal area, you want it spotless (so you don't drag grit into the box).
    Now you can slip the new seal over the shaft, you should dip it in fresh power steering fluid to help lube it on. Then gently tap it home into the steering box body, work around the edge so it goes in evenly. Reattach pitman arm (there's a line on it and the shaft for alignment.
    Then refill your power steering, and with the engine running turn it lock to lock a few times to bleed out the air bubbles, and refill

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot that way...

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanklo View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot that way...
    Tried with gearbox off and new seal from mitsu autoparts. Was 30.1 inside and 42.093 outside. Started w/wheels in air and thought all would be okay. Put wheels on ground and tested. Again the seal blew out. Made sure it was down tight to start and the truck only has 89k on it, so I would not think of wear being a problem.

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Getting frusterated as hell...if hell can be this fruterating...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There might be another issue with the power steering circuit. Any signs of physical damage to a line somewhere? There could possibly be a restriction or blockage on the line out from the power steering box that is causing it to back the pressure up. This will be enough to blow a seal out. Could also be something in a pressure relief valve that's preventing it from bypassing. Hydraulics are fun
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Going to check out the full system. Good thought about the restriction.
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Lawsonville, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I know this is an old post but here is the part # SKF 12700 for the 90 mm & d50. I run in to the same problem. I can only find it in the skf brand.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Pontiac, Michigan
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcollins311 View Post
    I know this is an old post but here is the part # SKF 12700 for the 90 mm & d50. I run in to the same problem. I can only find it in the skf brand.
    This is not the proper seal. This seal has a 32mm inside diameter and the pitman arm shaft is 30mm. If you want to stop the leak, replace the u-seal above this seal (30 38 6) and the bottom seal (the one you guys are replacing with no luck) which is more of a dust seal (30 42 7). Also, the pitman shaft doesn't wear oval shape like a previous poster wrote. I took Torton's advice and bought the kit Edleman 8745 for my 91 Ram 50, replaced both of these seals and now I have no leaks.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    thanks for the follow up information.
    So replace the 30mm x 38.6mm U-seal the sits about the lower/outer seal then ?
    Can this second seal be replaced without taking the steering box apart ?

Array
    Status
    Pontiac, Michigan
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    thanks for the follow up information.
    So replace the 30mm x 38.6mm U-seal the sits about the lower/outer seal then ?
    Can this second seal be replaced without taking the steering box apart ?
    Dash...The U-seal is 30mmx38mmx6mm. You must remove the steering gear and tap the pitman arm shaft (sector gear) out. I didn't reseal the entire steering gear, just the pitman arm shaft's two lower seals.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the useful info, as some have replaced the lower seal only, which still leaked or popped out.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I replaced the lower seal only on my 89 2wd which solved my slow leak. The seal from rock auto was not correct. I measured and ordered a generic oil seal from Amazon. 30x42x7mm. I was able to pop it out and replace it by simply dropping the pitman arm and having a go at it with some picks and chisels. Someone had put my seal in upside down which made getting it out a real pain in the ass.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I ordered a steering gear rebuild kit from Rock Auto -- GATES 348624 but my truck is 1986 4x4
    The FSM shows two seals one is dust protector the other must be the oil seal --

P.S. Have not done the steering box rebuild yet, hope all the seals are correct

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    possibly the lower seal will catch/stop a mild leak.
    Mine pisses, sounds like it's telling me I likely need to replace both lower & upper shaft seals

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Without looking at the 1984 FSM again, if I remember correctly, the pitman arm shaft has two seals on the bottom and an "O" ring seal at the top... The bottom seals are "U" shaped and must be installed with the "U" up or down (?) I can't remember but it does make a difference per FSM...

Sure hope my local mechanic will show up & try rebuilding my original box V.S. me replacing the steering box with a store bought rebuilt unit...

Good Luck to us all

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    the "U" shaped seal is a standard oil seal. They should always be installed open end into the cavity. On the inside of the U, there is a spring that holds the seal tight against the shaft. Installing the other way exposes the spring to the elements and it can possibly fall off. The other reason, is that when it is installed with the open end facing outward, it's a real pain in the nether regions to get them out. Someone installed mine backwards. When they are in the correct way, you can whack them with a chisel or punch and they usually deform enough to get out. Or you can poke a hole in them to pry them out. When they are in backwards, The seal is hard against the cavity and shaft on every surface. Very difficult to remove when it's pressed in with nothing to grab.

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Back in the saddle ... As Giovanni89 said, the 'dust seal' was backwards on mine and I thought it was strange..ended up trying both ways because the rubber part looked like the oen part should be up as everyone xbobrox explained why. Going to the inner seals makes so much sense that never came to mind...going to go that route and thank all for your imput and experience. Will let know how it goes! After the medical put me in debt 400k after ins. I need to save every penny. Thanks again

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    $400k debt even with insurance? The US system is broken...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Lanklo geezer iz just mouthing off ~ he luvs us pee-ons ~ Australia is our friend

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS I HAVE A B.A.P. 2WD REBUILT STEERING GEAR BOX THAT COST ME ALMOST $450.00 + WE SPENT ANOTHER $100.00 PAINTING IT MITSUBISHI RED WITH 2K PAINT (PRIMER RED CLEAR)

i WILL SELL IT TO YOU CHEAPER THAN THAT & CHEAPER THAN YOUR MEDICAL BILLS (A LOT CHEAPER/I CAN'T USE IT MY TRUCK IS 4X4)

GOD BLESS AMERICA AUSTRALIA LANKLO & GEEZER

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    After much research and phone calls this is where things stand.
    If you check the 'dust' seal that is all it is for since the rubber ring floats and moves so it can move around for any vaiance at the point of installation.
    2wd '86-'96 kits:Edelmann #8745, Omega Hose #2305, Gates #349400, Powercraft #8745
    4wd '87-'96kits:Edelmann #8746, Gates #349410, ACDelco #349410

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Strange thing, Giovanni89 said his dust seal was upside down and mine was also upside down. Found the original steering service manual online and it shows the dust seal install as, guess what, to be upside down as the U points down. It's great to know that the people here have more common sense about cars then the people who design them....lol...
    Always thankful for the help everone provides.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanklo View Post
    Strange thing, Giovanni89 said his dust seal was upside down and mine was also upside down. Found the original steering service manual online and it shows the dust seal install as, guess what, to be upside down as the U points down. It's great to know that the people here have more common sense about cars then the people who design them....lol...
    Always thankful for the help everone provides.
    I've seen it done when the shaft has a groove worn in by the seal. Flipping the seal around puts the new rubber lip on a part of the shaft that is still the correct diameter. I had figured that was why mine was in backwards. Interesting that yours was too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast