Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

T56 swap started

Truck lost the clutch pedal again last July 4. Been collecting parts for the t56 swap for a while now. Pulling the trans and looking for the culprit I found the clutch exploded. The backing between the clutch friction surface and the hub are now three pieces instead of one, and the friction surface has spread contacting the legs or stepped area of the 4g63 flywheel. I do not have pictures at this time but still have the bad pieces.

M&B Cylinder Heads has my shortblock. They are machining the crank to accept a pilot bearing, machining the competition clutch awd dsm flywheel to 30mm to accept the input shaft, and removing my need for a rear radiator cap. Lol. They will also assess my shortblock if I need it machined and if anything needs replacing.

Head will be replaced. New head has new valves and guides, bc springs and retainers. And looking into a moroso oil pan.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Finally able to update this thread. Got the short block rebuilt again and almost ready to start reassembly.

Reason for the T56 swap

New short block rebuild with a pilot bearing installed in the crank.

2G DSM clutch master cylinder, used.

T56 trans with the bellhousing installed, with the custom clutch and DSM flywheel, Competition Clutch

Going to try and use the Pontiac OEM shifter

Trans mated to block with clutch kit installed

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Trans tunnel will need to be cut to fit the new trans. Thinking of cutting 2 triangles and using a BFH to add additional clearance. Thinking either making a removeable dog house style tunnel or closing it up with fiberglass or adding sheet metal to the existing tunnel and stich it back together. I am by no means a metal fabricator so it will not be pretty so the carpet will need to be replaced or reused, LOL.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You may have to move the shifter to the upper hole in the tail housing for better placement of the shifter.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    so the clutch grenaded... does that mean the gearbox is ok then ? Wonder why disc failed ?
    Even a 16g @18psi seems 'tolerable' for the truck box (seeing as street 4g63 trucks gone hi to low 12s on slicks)

T56 conversion looks like a real pita with the machining & all..... vs a starion flywheel(pilot insert), 240mm clutch etc

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    and with the waffle pan from a Starion / Pajero km132, the tranny will take all kinds of power.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Could've been a cheap clutch. Beware of the puck clutch, they can be grabby as hell. The truck drivetrain wasn't up to making horses. A hydraulic clutch would've solved the flexing/cracking firewall problem with running a higher load pressure plate and the 5 speed will take scary power once it's fitted with a reinforced sump plate. We're lucky we have resources and info on building them nuke-proof on a real world budget. Poor Nissan and Yota guys have limited options I'll be curious to see how your trans install pans out. Least you know it's not as likely to limp off the road with busted teeth like it's been in a barfight...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    We're lucky we have resources and info on building them nuke-proof on a real world budget. Poor Nissan and Yota guys have limited options
    for cool RWD donor powerplants to swap into a mini pickup? ..... mitsu can't compare to toyota & nissan options tho

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    but then there are a lot of 4g63 swaps out there...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    KM132 trans was last driven July 3 of last year. First turbo motor I swapped in I believe was may 2010. The long years of abuse it had with the swap, it’s gotten to the point of rebuild it or replace it. 1st gear pop out on engine brake, 3rd and 4th year grind. The original Mitsubishi clutch cable lasted the longest and had 2 or 3 autozone replacements that vary in length with the same exact part number. The taller 6th gear will help mpg since moving to Washington state I commute on the I5 daily. My lancer evolution has a quartermaster 6 puck unsprung twin disc and I’ve been daily driving it, the clutch I got for the truck shouldn’t be a big deal.