Array
    Status
    Panama City Florida
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

88 Dodge Ram 50 2.0

Hey I just had a question about my truck, I have a 88 Dodge Ram 50 with a 2.0 liter in it. Just replaced the head gasket and valve cover gasket. Would start afterwards so I figure my belt slipped and it was off timing a little bit. I took it apart and set all my timing marks up as they should be. Along with the distributor, still not starting. I have spark. I’m getting fuel. I have the right fuel pressure and I have good compression on all cylinders. Any ideas on what it could be ??. Really need to get my truck running !

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If you're 100% sure your cam and crank alignment marks are correct it can only be the distributor/ignition (the cam mark is the one that normally catches people out - there's an alignment casting ridge on the head inside the belt shroud just below the rocker cover gasket face @ about 9 o'clock) Try full advancing/retarding the distributor adjustment while the engine is running to see if it will show a sign of firing. Might need to pull the distributor and reset it. These things can also do something that I haven't been able to figure out what causes it but is super weird. The distributor can go out half a tooth - normally after removing the head. This is actually easy to remedy but I'd advise you to first attempt adjusting the distributor before asking how to solve this problem as it can make diagnosing further issues a little more complicated.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Panama City Florida
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Would it cause the truck not to start if the valve/rocker arms were tightened down to where they have no play at all? Because I thought they were supposed to have a tiny bit of play but mine do not

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Could be keeping the open if they are real tight

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O.k. you have full compression - a clue that the valves are sealing completely. They do need a little play (this is one of the times 'the book' isn't helpful as setting clearances with gauges will usually end up with the adjustable tappets rattling like a machine gun). And I just read my advice - you won't be able to adjust the timing if you can't get it to fire (insert facepalm here) so it'll be trial and error. You had it running straight after getting the head bolted up right?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function