Array
    Status
    Spring,Texas
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Talking New guy old D-50

Hi guys been looking around the site a bit it's a great site, lots of good info. I have 1979 D50 2.6 l sport model that had the dealer Stepside conversion ,I thought was done by a company in California Bud Anderson could be wrong about that one.It had stacks on it like the Little Red Ram D50.They came off before I left the dealers parking lot LOL. I bought the truck brand new in 79 got lots of years and lots of miles with it before it found its home up in the country at my family's place. It's been living there for the last 20 years. It made some car shows back in the 80s and 90s, even though it was my daily driver.It's losing its home so I'm trying to make the decision what I should do with it. I've done some looking on internet can't even find another one.
    Best I can remember there was about a thousand of these made in 79-81 majority was the tan(non sport?) model with the two liter I think there was somewhere around 80 of the yellow 2.6 models but someone on this site might know more than I do about that.
    Lots of sentimental value to the truck, looks like engine parts and body parts wouldn't be too hard to find, it was a great truck that took me through my 20s. Never had any problems with it till about 280,000 miles ,lifter went bad, so it made its way to the country and I bought a new truck (s10)and still have that one too..LOL.
    Just trying to find out how many like it are still out there.
    I'll try to get before and after pics up..

Array
    Status
    Spring,Texas
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

New guy old D-50

HI guys. .
    Great site...nice trucks and Great Info
    I have and I'm the original owner of a 79 D50 sport with the Stepside conversion from the dealer, I believe it came from Bud Anderson in California but that was a long time ago I might be wrong on that. The Truck was my daily driver but it made a few car shows back in the 80s and 90s. The truck took me through my twenties/thirtys and I have lots of fun memories of that truck. I bought the truck new from the dealer with 8 miles on it, I took off the stack muffler pipes in the parking lot before I left ,yes it had the same stack as the Little Red larger Dodge.
    It's lived the last 20 years up in the country sitting under a pine tree, never had a bit of trouble until about 260,000 miles. Messed up lifters and rod so it was trailered to the country. It's losing its home so I'm trying to decide what I need to do with it, has lots of sentimental value, looks like body and motor parts are available and with the knowledge from this site I'm sure it could be rebuilt,so far I can't find another one on the internet.The best I remember it was about a thousand of them made in 79 - 81 with the majority being the Tan model non-sport,I thought there was only about 80 of the 2.6 liter sport yellow models but I'm sure someone on this site would have better information on that.

I'll try to post before -after pics...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The 2.6 was used in a bunch of vehicles so finding another engine shouldn't be that bigger deal. If not the parts to rebuild it are easy to get. Be aware that mini trucks are experiencing a renaissance and having a truck that is 'the real deal' adds to it's period correct authenticity. We have a couple of members who either own or have run into step-side converted trucks, but they are not that common.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Spring,Texas
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Thanks for the reply
    Doing this on the phone the 1st few time probably wasn't the smartest..;-)
    Sorry for the double post..
    Mini Trucks making a come back would be great..
    When it happened before there were tons of after market options that were developed.
    I will keep it the way it was ...the front spoiler might be a problem to find
    Hopefully I can get pics in one try...
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    isn't the front spoiler fiberglas?? If so it wouldn't be hard to repair or fab up another one, I would think?? Cool truck. Do you still have the side pipes somewhere? I would think those would add to the collectibility, but lots of guys on this site know a lot more than me...

Array
    Status
    Spring,Texas
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Yes. It was fiberglass it was lost in a dark road in 1990...put a straight (non-flare) one on then..the side pipes went to a cousin for his truck..long gone now..I put knock offs on the wheels but that us the stock wheels..
    Anyone know about the production number's of them...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    A few of these have appeared on here over the years. Yours being a sport 2.6 makes it very rare of the converted ones. Bud Anderson did make that conversion, but I don't have any info on it. If you can get it out of the ground and it hasn't disintegrated, it can be a neat truck to have once again. Those trucks do not have lifters, but mechanical rockers with manual adjustors. Jet valve failiures were a common weaknes with these motors, especially with 280k miles. If you go try to get it on the road, be sure to source a motor for the transmission type - 79 2.6 auto motors use a narrow block (12.5 inches center to center on the lower tranny bolt holes) and the 2.6 5 speed is a wide block 13.25 inches center to center. All 5 speed 2.6 motors from 79 to 89 are wide block motors. Welcome to the forum!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Had one of these too!
    Looking to build one up myself in a few years after I source the parts and get myself a place to properly work on the truck!
    truck.jpg