Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Unhappy 94 MightyMax 2.4L Transmission troubleshoot Q

I was wondering if you could help me troubleshoot a transmission problem I'm having? Most post online lead me to believe it either needs a new clutch (which i'm hoping is the worst of things) or a new gearbox, which can be pricey.

I recently traded my Integra for a '94 MightyMax, 2.4l, 4g64, 2x4, 5 speed manual, gas. When I first test drove the truck it made a whining noise in 3rd gear only. The seller led me to believe this was just a lack of transmission fluid problem (he said he spilled about a quart while replacing a clutch fork).

After I made the trade, assuming it wasn't a MAJOR problem, I drove off in my new little beast. Well, that whining sound was happening in every gear EXCEPT 4th. Right away I new something was off. I'll be driving the truck 1k miles or so back home so I need it to be in tip top shape. As I was heading the 45miles back to the place i'm staying I decided to test how it would handle freeway driving. I kept it in 5th gear between 75-80mph. 10 miles from the house, the whining noise got really loud, the truck popped out of 5th gear, and when I put it back into 5th, the engine just revved. I pulled over.

On the side of the road I shifted the truck into every gear, let the clutch out and the engine just revved, like it wasn't engaging in any gear. I popped the hood and noticed the radiator reservoir was boiling (i could feel it bubbling inside).

Back at home I did my best to troubleshoot clutch or gears; Truck starts fine but i shift into any gear and let the clutch out and nothing. It doesn't even stall. Not even in reverse. With the truck off, I put it in any gear and I can push the truck as if it was still in neutral.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm not sure whether to trade the truck back for my car or keep it. I REALLY like this truck and it's in great condition, plus i need it for work.

THANK YOU in advance.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You have internal transmission issues - the clutch will not cause that. The bearings failed in the transmission, and the input shaft is not engaging in the transmission. If you drop the tranny pan, I guarantee you parts of bearings and other nasty stuff will fall out. Sorry to give you the bad news - you either need to get your car back, or put in a new transmission.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Crazy update! The guy who traded me cars has a warrant out for his arrest. After he denied me the trade back I decided to take him to small claims court and upon getting him "served" I found out he's pretty much on the run. The good news is I found a transmission up here in Oregon (where I'm currently stuck) for $450. I'm suing him to pay for it as he claimed he "put gear oil in" and "got rid of the whine in 3rd gear", obviously both of these statements were lies. Now I just have to get a job and pay for the transmission myself until I can get this guy in court.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn. Sharks be everywhere. There's always some a-hole out the rip the daylight from someones' sky. Good that you've found another transmission - not so good that you're in between jobs. Good luck on both fronts dude.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    $450 seems awful steep for a transmission - does that include exchanging it for you? (That would be sweet).

There's a reason "used car salesmen" have a reputation I truly hope all turns out well for you.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.