England
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B

Engine swap? Bike carbs etc

Hi folks,
    fed up with my 12mpg on my 2.0 8v
    love the truck but the fuel economy sucks. so im trying to get around this by either swapping the carb from mikuni to either bike carbs or a weber
    or failing that i think it'd be nice to go efi with a donar engine, loom etc from say a galant? 2.0 16v efi

but i need to do this on a budget
    so what have people done before?.

im aware that ill need to probably upgrade the fuel pump for any carb conversion. plus jet kits on bike carbs and maybe even a rolling road to get it set right... so starts looking expensive

webers worry me about the many fakes.

and an engine swap for an efi engine is hard as most old mitsubishi models from the 80's 90's have all rusted away over here,
    i'll only consider something tht bolts straight up to the gearbox, and evo engines are out due to price.

what would you do?

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    12 mph sounds like something is seriously out of tune. How do your spark plugs look? Are they black and sooty? Assuming the engine is in good health, I would think a good tune up and replacing or repairing the carb will get you way more miles for your gallon.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Weber is the way to go for an instant nut and bolt swap that solves a bunch of problems. We have a listing for what to look for and which trader to buy from in regards to getting the real deal. You can do bike carbs - but this is not a straight forward thing to get up and running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFunG5Ku-fI

This guys' handle is Superscan811. You can find his build thread on sigma-galant.com and it will give you a full run down on his carb install. I think that his build needs a sealed air box with an intake duct on it to alleviate the low down throttle response issue and his manifold is rough, but the bones of his set up are solid.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function