Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Stock shocks VS drop shocks, are drop shocks necessary

Hello,

Finally pulling trigger on ordering a 2.5/3 lowering kit (springs and blocks) for my 93 MM 2WD. There are 2.5/3 drop shocks online going for $164 for front and rear (Brand :Nitro drop, never heard of it). Stocks shocks are cheaper. Quality ones are $140 (KYB, quality brand. A lot of Japaneses motorcycle use KYB). I installed new shocks for rear last year.

So. Question is do drop shocks really makes a difference? The stock shocks should be able to handle 2.5/3 drop correct? Any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    IMO if you're lowering your truck that much, you should ensure your shocks have the equivalent amount of travel. The stock shocks would probably be o.k. up a 2" drop.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yes you should get drop shocks. Stock shocks will not be valved correctly and will sit too far down in their "stroke" to work as intended and will blow out more quickly. The shocks you mention are made by Beltech and they are a well known and reputable brand. Matter of fact I have them on my bagged truck.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    +2 on drop shocks. You will crush the fronts with that much lowering. Also make 1" spacers to go between the shock and lower control arm to help keep the shock in the sweet part of its travel.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    tri cities tn
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    Is 3 in the rear and 2 in the front going to be a safe drop from beltech without having to cut and move a bunch of junk? How are clearances for bigger tire profiles for turning radius?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieking View Post
    Is 3 in the rear and 2 in the front going to be a safe drop from beltech without having to cut and move a bunch of junk? How are clearances for bigger tire profiles for turning radius?
    That will depend on the wheel offset. A 2" drop shouldn't be a problem for the front end. You'll be modifying bump stops all round with the ride drop.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    tri cities tn
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    10 4, I might have to decide on a new set of wheels or different spacing then I suppose.

I guess I'll burn that bridge when I get there.