Thread: 91 Mighty Max build...BAG THAT S#^$

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    got my lower bushing today...metal will be picked up tomorrow,, tomorrow night STREET DOGS in chicago...best friggn band!!!!so no truck work...just working class punk/Oi!..this weekend ill be getting at it good!

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    hell that was a great show lastnight..missed work today, slept all day, gonna get in the garage tonight and plate the lowers..ill post pics after...

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well i finally got in there this morning..here is what i did.....

]

i also pie cut the upper on the drivers size after mounting the lowers.....It looks like i can lay cross member with a 26 in tall rim/tire combo before the pie cut ball joint maxes out....Seem perfect to me since im only looking at an 18 inch rim...will weld up uppers tomorrow and maybe start on triangulating the lowers..gonna research making a tool to line up the lower control arm mount bolt and the triangulated arm mounting point....

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Nice looking stuff. If I use the stock LCA's when I bag my truck I was planning on doing the exact same thing as you did with cutting them down and plating them, your work looks awesome, but I think I might go tubular.

Array
    Status
    Danville, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    those are some damn good looking beads you have there. what welder are you usein

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i have a Lincoln 180 mig..its a 230 v welder..using 75/25 gas...030 wire...

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Nice looking stuff. If I use the stock LCA's when I bag my truck I was planning on doing the exact same thing as you did with cutting them down and plating them, your work looks awesome, but I think I might go tubular.
    i would like to use the Michigan Metal Works flat plate with uniballs BUT this is a lot cheaper and it gives me something to do....lol

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yea his arms are badass I love his work, I'm just kinda iffy on flat plate arms. But yea def hear you on price thing, and as always it could be upgraded later.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well got a little done today...made some upper bag plates....got some grinding finished, finished welding the pie cut uppers..I included a pic of the factory and the pie cut one...big re angle...wow....Ordered a few more things tonight for later in the week...will up date in a few days...

this is what im going for...of course there will be gussets on each side of the bag plate...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    nice progress man..liking the pics...it helps others get ideas and learn..i try to post lots of them too. when i do work that is...lol

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Looking good, the upper mount is exactly how I would have done it too. You're going to weld it to the bottom of the coil pocket also right?

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    none of it is welded yet....im still trimming to make it perfect...im gonna work on the pass side tonight to get it caught up with the drivers side....after this batch of order crap comes in i should be done with front, painted and powdered around the end of Jan.....Ill be finished with the fab work by x-mas..but im got a ton of clean up before powder and paint......then end of JAN im off to Mexico riviera for a week then on to the back of the truck...

Array
    Status
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    how much of the uppers did you cut in the pie cut, and where did you cut them at to make it more level?

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by 94mitz View Post
    how much of the uppers did you cut in the pie cut, and where did you cut them at to make it more level?
    i cut them straight across about 3/4 to 1 inch behind the ball joint..i cut thru the humps, left the flat center alone, i then jacked up the spindle til it bent to the amount i needed, tacked it while it was in place, removed control arm and welded up..It will have a nice size gap to fill, Im planning on fish plating the sides to add strength.

Array
    Status
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Ok, thanks. Im in the middle of bagging the front of my truck. Ive heard of and seen the upper arms pie cut, But wasnt sure how to do so. Im watching ur thread closely.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    im moving slower then i wanted too on this but work is killing me..only getting a few hours a few nights a week in. But i will try to take as many pics as i go to help anyone out...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You need to put a computer in the shop and line up about 6 hours of music from the radio station. That will help motivate you. I keep getting stuck in video games. Dam them things.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    my wifi doesnt work in there for some reason...i can go 1/2 a block and it works but not in the shop right out side my house...Soon ill have extra time...like i said work is killing me...

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yesterday i bought a harbor freight cheap tube notcher...it works great AFTER i shimmed the pipe holder so the bit is in the center of the pipe....man i spent $35 on it and worth every dime...i cut the tube for triangulating my lowers, got one side tacked up after making a tool to line the pivot points...I got a few metal pieces in the mail today, more coming monday...I should have some decent pics and progress to post sunday night....tonight no truck time..have school stuff for my youngest...see ya guys soon!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Good to hear that about the pipe notcher, I was planning on getting it in the very near future. Can't wait for more progress pics.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i was gonna have more tonight but my wife suprised me lastnight with a tattoo appointment for tonight...soooo i wont be on the truck tonight but by sunday ill have some pics....i have a few idead for my lower control arms that should turn out pretty cool looking..nothing functional but just something extra that ill know is there.... AND SH^%&....there is friggn snow on the ground here thismorning....I HATE WINTER!

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    What are you getting? I think theres a tattoo thread here. At least there used to be

EDIT: just looked, must have been on the old site. making a new one now!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalEthan View Post
    What are you getting? I think theres a tattoo thread here. At least there used to be

EDIT: just looked, must have been on the old site. making a new one now!
    great thinking lethal...ill throw up some of mine.....
    PAYRION-----GET TO WORK....LOL

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ill post a pic after it heals up some..its a pair of boots on my upper back....kinda taken from the band AGNOSTIC FRONT...I am sleeved out..have a good bit of them....

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    here is a few pics from this weekend..not a ton..figures i ran out of gas and wire for the welder....I took some good pie cut pics for those with questions...
    pie cut pics
    clean the area to cut...right above the ball joint..

draw a line across

cut all but an inch or so in the middle, cut past the humps

install ...

jack up the assemble til you get the amount you want...remember to measure the engine cradle to ground...then measure the spindle to ground and subtract for the rim and tire combo you want to lay with...

remove arm again and weld it up..I weld inside and out....you'll have a big gap to fill, i always fish plate the sides...no pics of that cause i ran out of gas and wire...Ill snap some at that time

you might have to trim it some when jacking it up if the cut isn't a big enough gap..just trim as needed..

I added a circle plate to my lower control arms and cut the sides to match the arm, it was just something little to add, looks cool..Also mocked up the triangulation of the lowers again but no friggn wire...Got some templates made for the bag plate gussets and a backing plate...metal will be picked up tomorrow and ill be working on getting that all buttoned up..im hoping for this week to have it all together as far as front, ill test it out then break it down for powder and frame rail coat....Im sure i wont make my goal but im having fun at this....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast