Array
    Status
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Rod knock

My truck has a really bad rod knock. How difficult is it to rebuild one of these? Rough estimate on cost?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. This is a purely subjective question - you won't know until you crack it open. And what model engine? Don't want to come across as a d*ck or anything but there's a lot in play when you're about to dive into an engine repair. You could get away with a set of bottom end bearings and a bunch of gaskets or the crank could be lunched and the head warped and corroded out. I wanted to rebuild the original G63B engine for my truck which only had 180,000 km on it. Bottom end was chewed out, the crank had seized and consequently twisted, and the cam journal caps were shredded all as a result of a catastrophic oil pressure failure. It worked out that buying a complete running wreck was both simpler and cost effective (even though I will do a ground up rebuild on the original block due to it having matching numbers with the truck)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Sorry, should've answered your question completely. If it's a belt drive engine, pretty straight forward and not that longer process. The 2.6 Astron is a bit more involved and has more risks of oil leaks due to the timing cover. The balance shafts have to be done by the book or you'll be messing with this thing for a while. The one thing that catches guys out on their first foray with the belt drive engines is the cam position mark. Extensively covered like everything else on the site
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function