Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Greetings from Oregon!

Howdy everyone!

A couple years ago I got tremendously lucky and was able to trade a Subaru Outback that needed some serious work straight across for this ’84 Dodge Ram 50 (the title says D50 but I think would’ve been called the ram 50?). I struck gold!

For the most part, life got in the way and I’ve only driven the thing once a month or so the past couple years to help a friend move or whatnot. It hasn’t been able to pass DEQ and I just haven’t had the time to figure out why. That said, I’m finally in a place where I’m ready to put the work in for a number of reasons. I had a couple motorcycle projects that I was finally able to finish up and/or sell, moved into a new place, and got rid of a ton of clutter. I’m also getting married in July so have some accountability now regarding the number of stagnating projects I can reasonably have around.

Through it all, I’ve really fallen in love with this truck. I’m committed to getting it registered, safe to drive, and something that I can justifiably ask my fiancé to ride in with me.

The initial issue was the terrifying steering. I spent a weekend that was 20% wrenching and 80% trips to the parts store to find tie rod ends that fit but the steering is now solid enough to move on to other things. I finally pulled the seat off yesterday along with all of the vinyl and insulation on the floor and found what I was really hoping not to find; a bunch of rust in the floor pans. I don’t know how to weld, but it looks like I’ll be learning. Anyone got leads on where to find floor pans for these? If not, I’ll just weld in some sheet metal and be done with it.

Once the floor is buttoned up I think I’ll move along to the wiring. Someone installed an aftermarket radiator and fan but the wiring could use some cleaning up. There are a mess of disconnected wires under the hood and some of the dash indicators aren’t working. Plus, for a small motor with no AC and manual steering the engine compartment is just cluttered. I’d love to tidy it up a bit partially just for aesthetics and partially because it will help me get familiar with how everything is organized under there.

Lastly, the thing had/has a significant oil leak. Based on that and the new radiator, new water pump, and new temp sending unit I would deduce that it’s overheated in the past. I’m going to try to Seafoam it into passing DEQ but if it doesn’t I’m worried that there will be some mechanical work to be done. The kid who traded it to me said he thought it needed a head gasket which would sort of fit the narrative. Maybe it’s a really slowly leaking head gasket? Either way I have’t driven it enough since I changed the oil last to notice if it burns oil or water. Hopefully, that’ll change now.

I’m still pretty new to all this. I haven’t worked on carbureted car motors that much and I’ve been mostly a motorcycle guy up to this point. Pretty much everything on this truck is going to be a learning experience for me but I’m motivated and excited! Any suggestions? Stuff I should definitely check out, stuff I should avoid? Thanks in advance for all your help.
    IMG_5585.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1511.jpgIMG_1518.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome. You have a nice yard with a couple of D50's in it there. Ram light trucks or something like that. I'm south of you a couple hours. Didn't the DEQ people tell you what did not pass? Seems like you would start there. I never had to do that or OR but as a rule you should change oil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, air filters before any emissions check. There are three in that air cleaner, the air cleaner, a crankcase filter on the outside and a bit of filter materiel on teh inside near where the air intake extends. The crankcase filter is FRAM CA6594. get one now even if you do not need it I had to order them after spending a lot of time in the store with the catalog to find out what it was. There is a lot of other stuff on the site. If the carb starts giving problems most folks change over to a Weber. That is tricky because there are Webers made by license which are much lower quality than the EU made originals to avoid.
    Good Luck

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hi & welcome cmagee,

I'm new here too; nice truck, looks a lot like mine... Make sure the wheel covers (hub caps) fit snug, maybe squeeze a few 1" long tacks of clear silicone 120 degrees apart on the outside... Stay further away from the big rigs on I-5 to save the windshield, I hate Oregon's zapping rocks... I lived in Everett, WA for 25 years, cracked windshields in Oregon was no surprise to me, grrr... That's about the extent of my Ram 50 knowledge..

I need to investigate the air filters 85Ram50 shared with you..? I only knew about two, I wanna find air filter No. 3

PicknPull is your friend, search D50 for the Gen1 trucks...

On the floorboard, tack welds + body sealer (no real need for 100% weld metal)

Aloha
    George

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    You can see the white filter materiel there on the left xboxrox. I forget what I got but its basically the light filter materiel you can get at any parts store and I cut it in half to fit there where the hose from the top of the valve cover plugs into the air cleaner housing. Note I cut up this OE air cleaner housing to fit the Weber because I did not know there is an adapter to be had so that you can use it normally. The second air filter I provided the part number for is on the back where one of the emissions hoses plugs in. You have to remove the whole housing and unscrew four screws to access it.
    using old botttom plate as washer.jpg

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Update: It passed DEQ! Since I initially wrote the post, I put some fuel additive in and took it through on my way to work and it passed. I'm super excited because this means I can move on to address some of the other issues without worrying about fixing some emissions thing.

Thanks for the advice on the filters! I'll have to change those. I also need to find a new timing belt cover for the thing. Mine is completely cracked and a giant chunk is missing. I'm not 100% certain, but I would imaging that it's a good idea to have an intact one. I'd also like to install a triple gauge I've had sitting around for awhile. Since I posted, I also found the "Start here" thread so I think I'll be trying to knock out as much from that list as I can. I'll probably start with the new timing belt and general tuneup in addition to your air filter shout.

I'm excited to get cracking as soon as this rain lets up!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Congrats passing DEQ cmagee (DEQ stands for ??? Dirty Engine Quiz)

2nd Thank You on this filter advice 85Ram50

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Congrats passing DEQ cmagee (DEQ stands for ??? Dirty Engine Quiz)
    Haha sounds about right to me. It's the OR equivalent of all the smog stuff in other states. Also, coincidentally, the bane of my existence.

Anyway, I'll start a build thread soon hopefully. For now, I need to figure out where to buy a timing belt and the rest of the parts I need to replace mine. Thanks for the advice so far y'all!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that white filter is the same as a 70s Ford f150 air breather filter if I remember correctly. I last replaced one of those in 1983, when I went to a weber carb on Geronimo
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hi and welcome to the forum looks like your off to a great start hang in there you will do fine

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to mightyram. Sorry but sheet metal patch panels (or pretty much any body panels) are no longer being made AFAIK. This is where you're kinda forced into hoarding parts and keeping an eye out for Gen 1 trucks that end up in JY's. Spare bumpers, light assemblies, grilles and hoods/fenders are a pain to store but will get you out of trouble if something nasty happens (these trucks are cursed, I swear...) If you can get rid of the emissions/EGR garbage and upgrade to a Weber + headers, your trucks' performance and MPG will improve and you'll declutter the engine bay. Other worthwhile improvements are bigger output alternators, H4 headlight swap (candle lit nights are romantic but not at 70 on the highway...) installing an electric thermo fan (the Gen 1 is prone to heat soak and could really do with the added protection, plus taking the big clutch fan off the engine helps preserve the water pump, de-governs the engine (improved throttle response) and frees up more engine bay room (yay!). Also there are parts that will swap between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 trucks that are bolt on upgrades (front steering hubs and brakes, the sway bar depending on what your Gen 1 has fitted - LSD rear if you find the right truck). There is a ton of info to absorb and anything you are thinking of doing has either been done or members will offer advice on how to execute it.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    You're a wizard Geezer! Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. I'm really excited to be a member of this community.

I've done some searching and have found some great advice on how to find the right timing belt for my motor but am intimidated as all hell. Need to dive in and see if I can find the parts to replace the belt and find and install a new timing cover. Wish me luck!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A wizard I am not, but this site has helped clear a lot of confusion about how to do upgrades, what ones actually work and what to steer the hell away from (this is the big one when buying a Weber carb - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!! lots of horror stories from people who have joined the site because they couldn't get their engine running right only to find out they've been burnt) I know old school and have owned a couple of earlier Mitsubishis, as yet I still haven't turned legit as my truck has been a side project/work in progress and getting parts for Gen 1's is no mean feat here in Australia. Very much on the endangered list which is all the more reason to keep chipping away at it. You're gonna enjoy this truck
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    A wizard I am ,I know old school and have owned a couple of earlier Mitsubishis,
    geezer101 is my go to guy

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Last edited by geezer101; 06-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.