Howdy everyone!

A couple years ago I got tremendously lucky and was able to trade a Subaru Outback that needed some serious work straight across for this ’84 Dodge Ram 50 (the title says D50 but I think would’ve been called the ram 50?). I struck gold!

For the most part, life got in the way and I’ve only driven the thing once a month or so the past couple years to help a friend move or whatnot. It hasn’t been able to pass DEQ and I just haven’t had the time to figure out why. That said, I’m finally in a place where I’m ready to put the work in for a number of reasons. I had a couple motorcycle projects that I was finally able to finish up and/or sell, moved into a new place, and got rid of a ton of clutter. I’m also getting married in July so have some accountability now regarding the number of stagnating projects I can reasonably have around.

Through it all, I’ve really fallen in love with this truck. I’m committed to getting it registered, safe to drive, and something that I can justifiably ask my fiancé to ride in with me.

The initial issue was the terrifying steering. I spent a weekend that was 20% wrenching and 80% trips to the parts store to find tie rod ends that fit but the steering is now solid enough to move on to other things. I finally pulled the seat off yesterday along with all of the vinyl and insulation on the floor and found what I was really hoping not to find; a bunch of rust in the floor pans. I don’t know how to weld, but it looks like I’ll be learning. Anyone got leads on where to find floor pans for these? If not, I’ll just weld in some sheet metal and be done with it.

Once the floor is buttoned up I think I’ll move along to the wiring. Someone installed an aftermarket radiator and fan but the wiring could use some cleaning up. There are a mess of disconnected wires under the hood and some of the dash indicators aren’t working. Plus, for a small motor with no AC and manual steering the engine compartment is just cluttered. I’d love to tidy it up a bit partially just for aesthetics and partially because it will help me get familiar with how everything is organized under there.

Lastly, the thing had/has a significant oil leak. Based on that and the new radiator, new water pump, and new temp sending unit I would deduce that it’s overheated in the past. I’m going to try to Seafoam it into passing DEQ but if it doesn’t I’m worried that there will be some mechanical work to be done. The kid who traded it to me said he thought it needed a head gasket which would sort of fit the narrative. Maybe it’s a really slowly leaking head gasket? Either way I have’t driven it enough since I changed the oil last to notice if it burns oil or water. Hopefully, that’ll change now.

I’m still pretty new to all this. I haven’t worked on carbureted car motors that much and I’ve been mostly a motorcycle guy up to this point. Pretty much everything on this truck is going to be a learning experience for me but I’m motivated and excited! Any suggestions? Stuff I should definitely check out, stuff I should avoid? Thanks in advance for all your help.
IMG_5585.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1511.jpgIMG_1518.jpg