Array
    Status
    Highpoint,NC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Question Rims for a 1989 ram 50

I recently bought a 1989 ram 50 and was wanting to put new rims and tires on it, they're 16×6 rims and i wanted to put low profile tires with them...my only problem is that the guy that had the truck before me lowered it pretty far so I'm not sure if a 16" rim would be too big...any help would be greatly appreciated, these are the rims https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-s0878

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The biggest issue with upgrading rims is rim width and centre hub fitment. You normally have a fair amount of wiggle room for lowering or using drop spindles but you have to make sure the inside edge of the rim doesn't strike or rub against the control arms. If they look like they're going make contact you can try using a different offset rim or use spacers (within reason so the cops don't pull you up for them sticking out or the outer tire surface hitting a fender lip) Also be aware of bump steer issues. Increasing track width improves handling but bump steer can can make it unpredictable. There's always an option of installing a steering damper/stabiliser to counteract it. Looking at what you've picked, these will be nice. Only going up +2 fitment and a 6" wide rim is pretty tame.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Highpoint,NC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice, half the time i ask anything on a forum people treat me like an idiot so this is a breath of fresh air

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignaut View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice, half the time i ask anything on a forum people treat me like an idiot so this is a breath of fresh air
    We iz al geenyus, giniyus, ya know, dem smart people here Been by far the best experience I have had with either a forum I have been a member of, or a site that I've visited searching for information. Stick around - it's worth it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    taft, ca
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    My 92 is lowered 3" and I was able to fit 17" x 7" escalade rims with 205 40 17 tires And still have massive amounts of room, it is a little tough with wider rims/tires to turn without power steering but that's only at a dead stop once ur moving it's no problem