Array
    Status
    CT
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Toyota 1ZZ-FE???

I have a 2003 Corolla that is rusting in half from being rear-ended so many times. It seems no one sees a greyish Corolla.

Anyway, I am thinking that it could be a swap candidate for my 88 Mighty Max. I already have the car, so there isn't any out of pocket expense there. All I'd need to do is put it in the truck. Motor mounts I can do, but I am not sure about the adapter plate I would need, because it apparently has never been done before.

How much should this kind of thing cost? Is this just a ridiculous idea?

Corolla Rusting in Half
    https://image.prntscr.com/image/iQYN...4QsnB5fmoQ.jpg

Corolla with Bonus Mighty Max Turning White
    https://image.prntscr.com/image/Uha2...oOyXHPqh-w.jpg

Mighty Max
    https://image.prntscr.com/image/TIaz...YrEXNXsuRw.jpg

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Isnt the Toyota fwd?
    Bit more work involved converting one to red (more pipe work)

Array
    Status
    CT
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yeah, the Toyota is fwd, but if I use the transmission that I have in the mighty max, which is my plan, and the reason I would need an adapter plate, it shouldn't be much more work.

People use the 4g63 out of eclipses that are set in the same layout. Plus, the 1ZZ-FE has the intake facing the correct way, so I wouldn't need to flip the intake manifold around.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Oh yup just checking.

Have seen the 2zz swapped into different things here (the 1zz isn't as performance orientated, but if it's free it's free) I seem to recall them using a Toyota 5 speed box. W50 most likely, probably still needing an adaptor plate.

Making an adaptor plate is easy enough, what will help is some engineers centres placed in the bolt holes (or bolts/plugs ground down with an accurate centre point) and then cad the design and get it water cut. You will need to measure what clutch and flywheel distance you will need to get it to work

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Price wise if you have the donor car and do the majority of work yourself, it's not too bad.
    Engine mounts
    Fuel lines
    Radiator hoses
    Exhaust
    Maybe some work to adapt the clutch and throttle cable vontrols
    adapter plate and possible clutch
    Factor some in for nuts, bolts, wire, oil etc

Probably only a couple thousand in the end, becomes expensive when farming the work out. Having all the loom etc makes it cheaper

*A company called niteparts does a zz to w50 housing adaptor if you want to go Toyota box

Array
    Status
    CT
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    I will be able to do most of everything myself. I want to use the KM tranny I have in the truck. Thinking that it should be possible.

The 1zz was also in the sad excuse for an MR-2 so there are parts out there for it, Wiseco pistons to lower compression, turbo kits, the whole nine really. Including aftermarket ECUs that are plug and play. Which is pretty surprising.

That is the real reason why the interest. Since the engine runs and I have the entire car, it would just be a matter of making it work with the KM tranny.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It might have the intake manifold facing the right way but you're still going to have the same issues as the 4G63 engine swap - the ancillaries hanging off the rear of the engine. Then there's finding a clutch/flywheel/pressure plate combo that will let you work with the untested adapter plate modification. Is there an engine mount location on the exhaust side of the engine for a RWD engine support? Will the sump smack into the frame cross member? You might be better off finding out if an old school Celica manual trans is a viable option (then try to find one) and then knowing what starter motor will engage the flywheel and adapter. There are pitfalls in taking on a project like this. Your 'free' engine might end up costing a bomb of cash to install and going through a pile of parts before even getting it to 'turn key' ready.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Bad idea even with a free motor & diy modding.
    Weak motor will need rpm to haul the truck around, which the truck box hates. Coupled to a 3.90:1 diff n tall tire, life would suk
    Not worthwile parting out the rolla ? ....n choose something more torquey if u want a performance mini pickup
    DSM motor deliver whatever u want, without the unknowns. Starion swap rips too

Array
    Status
    CT
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    I don't really understand the "weak motor will need rpm" comment. The car actually weighs more than the truck, and the 1zz is tuned more with torque in mind than the 2zz which is a much more top end engine.

That being said, I think you guys have talked me out of it. Some of the pitfalls I hadn't have thought of. So I will sell the Corolla for whatever I can get, and start my search for an Eclipse/Talon.

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    think these trucks ~2800 pounds. Corollas ~2500.
    A 2.4 should put out more 'usable' hp & torque than a 1.8 -plus- the box/diff ratio/tire diameter matched to the 2.4
    Swapped motors usually go into lighter vehicle than their donors.... otherwise u swimming upstream
    I'm into CA18DETs (nissan turbo 1.8 rwd & ez swap) and I wouldn't even put that in a mitsu pickup

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You can make anything fit anything - if you have either the engineering skills and/or mad amounts of $$$. I admire most guys who are prepared to think outside the box and take on something different, but I'd weigh up what you're trying to achieve vs the end product. If you're running a belt drive engine you have all sorts of options on the table - anything from head swaps to full engine transplants. Instant power gains and not a lot of assing around to get there. The Astron engines are limited to Starquest/Conquest swaps - nothing to sneeze at, but an extra cam and a bunch of valves would make the 2.6 scary (yes, there's the HKS heads but you need to find one and have EVERYTHING that was designed with it to make it work...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    2.6 already scary with the one cam & 2 valves. Robust torque scoots away fine. Healthy breathing spins up 5-600hp turbos fast
    ~370hp hop'd up TBI.... 400hp on stock cam(MPI)..... 5-800+ with a good cam. No head porting. Need Twincam ??

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    2.6 is a good lump. Bottom ends in stock form will handle 600 HP depending on how power is being made. But the heads have always held the Astron back from being a contender in the HP arms race. With an extra cam and 8 valves, the Anchortron would rip through it's rpm band like a bullet. I was an active member of another forum and we had a guy who was working on adapting a BMW twin cam head to the 2.6. Never knew how far he got with the project but it showed potential...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    the only thing twincam hi-rpm top heavy tq curve would rip up, is bottom ends of the long stroke thumper. Crazy piston speeds
    Turning the motor into something it's not, spells disaster. Best to leave the HP wars to motors designed for that
    If finding one good G54 cam is a challenge, try two... Classic example; this guy below went thru *four* Wade cams
    http://www.sqperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=59.0

Remember the first import 4cyl in the 7s was the shitty G54. From mild to wild street car, the 54 has u covered
    This is SQC quickest active member. Simple basic combo. New unported NJV head. 9.5 1/4 mile, 5.8sec 1/8th
    http://www.sqperformance.com/wp-cont.../4cylfury2.jpg
    http://www.sqperformance.com/wp-cont.../4cylfury1.jpg

More than a handful of Ford 2.3sohc guys sucessfully mated the Volvo twincam head to their blocks. Google "FOLVO"
    After all these years, not a single one of em runs at the 'front of the pack'. Works great on paper tho - lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    HKS got the 2.6 to rev hard and hold it all together in the process - 276 HP from an NA tuned 4 cylinder is along way from the 100ish it made from the production line. It would've been an interesting experiment to see what the Astron could've made with the best of both worlds, maybe even overshadow the 4G63 TC turbo...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    just try to find the HKS twin cam head - I heard there were very few made. Both John Baker and Rod Hall had them to try in their race trucks, but since it wasn't production, they had no class to run it in. It is referenced in the Baker catalogs, however...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    just try to find the HKS twin cam head - I heard there were very few made. Both John Baker and Rod Hall had them to try in their race trucks, but since it wasn't production, they had no class to run it in. It is referenced in the Baker catalogs, however...
    It's not just the heads, but everything else needed to integrate the twin cam mod (timing cover, intake+exhaust manifolds, timing gear, the gaskets, the distributor, external oil pump for the intended dry sump system...)

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    HKS effort was most likely an expensive experiment. Throw enough money at any purpose built motor, it can do whatever
    If the HKS twincam head wrote the check, I'm sure they went the distance to make the block able to cash it
    Probably destroked and share nothing with our production forklift 2.6. If practical, mitsu would've built one
    would've been an interesting experiment to see what the Astron could've made with the best of both worlds, maybe even overshadow the 4G63 TC turbo...
    NOPI invested in an attempt to bring drag racing to mainstream America
    Top dawg class had a mix of entrants, who all eventually surrendered to Toyota 2JZ dominance... except for a single 4G63 entrant
    Even with the weight handicap in favour of the Toyotas, the lone mitsu 2.0 destroyed the entire field of 2JZ monsters!
    Not only taking the championship, but Rau's eclipse set a world record in the process (1st in the 6s). Dragonslayer? Go mitsubishi
    4G63 TC already proven the ultimate 4cyl imo ...and it bolts into our trucks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Rumor was that the original design was Mitsubishi, and HKS was going to sell it aftermarket. I have only seen pictures of a complete motor once...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    ...Dragonslayer? Go mitsubishi 4G63 TC already proven the ultimate 4cyl imo ...and it bolts into our trucks
    Yeah it's a freaky engine. Even in stock trim it's got 20kW up on the equivalent SR20 turbo (minus the frail valvetrain). The HKS wasn't an experiment. It was a bloody expensive, low production, aftermarket engine set up using the 2.6 block. I've seen both HKS power rocker covers and Ralliart rocker covers but I can't source info on the latter (did Mitsubishi dare have a go at their own twin cam variant?)

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    If you are looking for a different engine for your truck.
    There's a few sr20det ones getting around over here, I saw one set up for a 12a rotary the other day. I have a Buick 3.8v6 in mine but there's better out there. A few guys in my club have used the Mazda k series V6. Look like great engines for small cars/trucks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I found a 1st gen 4x4 with a Nissan 3.0 v6 swap in it in a junkyard once - seemed to fit in there rather well...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'd think a 3800 buick would be perfect for a daily driven mini pickup. Cheap, compact, responsive/torquey
    Automatic trans 3800-series II fiero: 14.5sec 1/4 mile, highway mieage mid 30s... weigh close to these trucks.
    Correct gearing critical tho

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I have just a 700r4. No major difference with the 3.88 and 4.22 diff.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    3600+ pound whales run stock 2.95:1 diff with auto trans supercharged 3800. The na 3800 ratio 3.06:1(as Fiero mentioned)
    U really have to gear the vehicle so motor stays in the narrow tq band to get the best acceleration

Series I 3800/5speed in old rwd corolla does mid 14s 1/4, with a 4.3:1 diff = too short, & worse with small diameter tires
    Same car should be about a sec quicker + way better mileage/lower hwy rpms, if it had the correct diff ratio
    gearing discussed on US 3800 RWD forums. Some run 700r4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast