Array
    Status
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Hello from Arizona

After a long absence I am back and couldnt be happier. After selling my Macro cab a few years ago( worst decision ever) I've been looking to pick up another truck. I finally found a 88 Dodge D50 non-runner. PO ran the motor dry and replaced it but never got around to get it running. After fighting thr Mikuni carb, it finally runs and idles but not much else. I do need to pass smog so I'm debating whether to just put in a Weber and not mess with the Mikuni. Sorry for the crappy pictures. 5 speed manual and power steering.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    welcome back glad to have you will look forward to more pics of your little truck

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Will you get it to pass smog successfully with a Weber in AZ? Do the usual checks on it - timing/tune, vac advance on the distributor, secondary vac unit on the carb. It won't take much to get it rev but the trick is getting it to run right. btw nice truck Shame you didn't hold onto your previous ride but we all have been there at one point or another.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Will you get it to pass smog successfully with a Weber in AZ? Do the usual checks on it - timing/tune, vac advance on the distributor, secondary vac unit on the carb. It won't take much to get it rev but the trick is getting it to run right. btw nice truck Shame you didn't hold onto your previous ride but we all have been there at one point or another.
    You know its been almost a decade since my last 88. From what I know it must pass the tail pipe sniffer and they also pressurize the evap system. I'll have to call the emission station in the morning and see how strict they are with OE. I'll purchase a vacuum and take a look at the advance.The sheer amount of vacuum hoses is overwhelming.20180528_190436-1.jpg20180528_190446.jpg

Array
    Status
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks James. Have to clean her up some. Does have some slight surface rust but nothing to bad. Interior is in serious need of some TLC. Im just happy to finally back into one of them, for $550 not to shabby.

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Sure will! I have the Weber on mine and pass with decent margin at idle and great margin at load.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by haruman View Post
    Sure will! I have the Weber on mine and pass with decent margin at idle and great margin at load.
    I see a mass exodus of people leaving Cali and headin' to Arizona - as long as they leave their diesel Golfs behind...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what's a little extra NOx among friends...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    what's a little extra NOx among friends...
    and diesel VW owners

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I see a mass exodus of people leaving Cali and headin' to Arizona - as long as they leave their diesel Golfs behind...
    and the politicians better yet golf cart diesel driving politicians

Array
    Status
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Now that its idling i do see (blue??) smoke. Could it be blow-by,valve stem seals or jet valves?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If it blows smoke from a standing start and calms down, it's more than likely valve stem seals (they can fail from wear and/or age). The jet valve heads are temperamental. Could be bad jet valves, could be a crack in the top of the combustion chambers between the jet valves and spark plugs. Or it could be rings (compression test will confirm it) If it's blow by you'll see smoke/vapour coming out of the oil filler cap and breathers.

Array
    Status
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    It does exhibit blow by, and from the looks of it valve stem seals. Since the exhaust dumps straight down its hard to tell. It sounds dumb but ive tried to be near the exhaust and no watery eyes like its running rich. So the project list now includes the weber card/airtex pump, taurus fan with Volvo speed controller and the denso alternator upgrade.