Thread: Just bought my first Mighty Max!

Array
    Status
    Murphys, Ca
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Just bought my first Mighty Max!

Hi everyone! I'm really glad this forum is here. Just paid $600 for a 1988 Mighty Max 4x4 that is in excellent condition, but needs a few parts for the engine. The owner had taken this truck to a shop to have the engine diagnosed. They removed the cylinder head and told him that the engine was not rebuild-able due to the "block being warped". The shop did not return the head, air cleaner, valve cover, and everything else involved with removing the head. So I'll be looking to track down those parts, because this thing is just too sweet to let rot.

Here are some pictures, I'd sure appreciate any help and advice that you guys have. Cheers!IMG_3413.jpgIMG_3415.jpgIMG_3417.jpgIMG_3421.jpgIMG_3422.jpg

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Welcome and nice truck. Was the block or head warped?? If so that's unfortunate. Still might be able to find a new block. But it might be costly. Looks like your going to need a new head as well. Probably just get a crate motor if I was you.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The shop did what? Hmm, the PO really took one below the belt for not giving the shop manager the 'Wrath of God' legal threats for not returning his/hers property.. I doubt the block is actually warped and methinks the shop pulled a majorly shady move on this poor guy. Run a straight edge over the block with some feeler gauges and you'll know if the tale smells of BS. This is a really nice looking truck - you're gonna enjoy it once you can put the wrenches down and drive it.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The shop did what? Hmm, the PO really took one below the belt for not giving the shop manager the 'Wrath of God' legal threats for not returning his/hers property.. I doubt the block is actually warped and methinks the shop pulled a majorly shady move on this poor guy. Run a straight edge over the block with some feeler gauges and you'll know if the tale smells of BS. This is a really nice looking truck - you're gonna enjoy it once you can put the wrenches down and drive it.
    i was thinking the same thing just doesn't sound right does it?
    i have never heard of a legit shop not returning the parts and you know the guy had to pay to have it checked out. good looking truck.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    This is what I'm saying. Highly doubt that block is warped. Not saying it's impossible to. But I would definitely double check that. Sounds a little sketch..op

Array
    Status
    Murphys, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    That's what I was thinking too, especially with the engine still free, and not seized. The PO told me the radiator had a small leak, which caused the overheat on a long trip to the coast (we live in foothills of Northern California).

I've located a 1987 Dodge Caravan near Sacramento with a 2.6L g54b (I believe) at Pick and Pull. I read on here that the cylinder heads on those vans are the ones you want. I was wondering if the whole engine would bolt up to the 5sp manual.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No the fwd 2.6 is a totally different block from the rwd / 4wd truck block. The head can work, but if it has the air pump on the back of the head, that could cause issues with using it on the truck. Then you still need the intake and exhaust manifold, distributor, carb, and other parts. My bet is that someone at that shop either needed the head or knew someone that needed one, and sold it / used it.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    No the fwd 2.6 is a totally different block from the rwd / 4wd truck block. The head can work, but if it has the air pump on the back of the head, that could cause issues with using it on the truck. Then you still need the intake and exhaust manifold, distributor, carb, and other parts. My bet is that someone at that shop either needed the head or knew someone that needed one, and sold it / used it.
    *water pump (cam driven pulley). That part can be solved but then you need to find the correct intake to appease the oxygen Nazis in Cali. I believe luck will be on your side. No doubt you have seen how many people have been unable to get their trucks to pass smog and some of them give up (a shame, but that creates supply for parts - which leads me to think that this truck was raped for parts by the crooked mechanic to fill a demand, b*stard...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function