Array
    Status
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Easiest way to fill gear oil?

Hello everyone, super quick question and hopefully it isn't already posted somewhere else. But is it possible to full the trans with gear oil through the shifter instead of the filler hole thats in the trans tunnel? Its just such a pain in the ass to fill the way that the book says. And I know that you can remove the shifter and pour the oil there on some transmissions of other makes. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, Scott...that's how I filled my transmission (after putting it back in). I left the filler plug out, and could tell when the trans was full by oil coming out of the filler hole. You can see it pretty good from the cab.

I agree that filling from below the filler hole is a pain. Make sure you seal the shifter facing when reinstalling - perhaps make a new gasket.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Royster! Trying that now!

Array
    Status
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Pulling the shifter ended up being big pain as well, so this is my solution. IMG_0083.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Suction gun for me!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    They make a pump for gear oil that screws onto the bottle - works great for me...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Ya those were my suggestions. They have pumps available that can work on a 5-gallon bucket of gear oil or smaller ones for the squeeze bottles. I went your route the last time I did it. No shame in using some scrap hose.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I used an old fire extinguisher. Unscrewed the top and washed it out really well. I removed the pressure gauge and put a t-fitting. One side of the t has a ball valve and an air coupler. The other side has the pressure gauge. This particular bottle was made of aluminum. Fills the rear axle in about 15 seconds with 80w90.
    You unscrew the top, fill it with oil, screw the top back on, connect an air hose, open the ball valve to pressurize, close the ball valve and disconnect the air line. You are then ready to dispense. I ended up putting a curve in the metal spout at the end of the hose so that I could direct the oil downward as I was filling.gear oil dispenser.jpg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Oil Pump

This is the pump I used:
    41UHgJJJ4bL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    Works okay. I would recommend a longer hose and clamping the clear hose to the nozzle. It will come shooting off from the nozzle if you don't clamp it to the nozzle. You'll also avoid scrubbing off the oil from your hair.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    This is what I used to do the trans oil. Pumped right out of the bottle. You can pour direct down the hose too. I figure it will work on the differential as well. It was only $8 give or take a couple dollars. I got it at a local parts store cannot remember which one.

pump.jpg