Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    Try running a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the 12 volt side of the ballast resistor. That will give power to the ballast resistor, coi,l and icm. If it starts up then you know it's something upstream of the ballast resistor, ignition switch or wiring. If it doesn't start its something downstream of that connection, ICM, coil, ballast resistor, or bad ground.

I tried what u said I found something very interesting. As soon as I hooked it up everything came on like I turned the key to "on"

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Still won't start with the jumper wire. Gonna try and warranty the distributor. They won't just swap out icm they want the whole distributor.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It was backfeeding to the keyed side of the switch once the jumper was hooked up. If you disconnect the power feed to the resistor from the ignition it wont do that, but no harm done. If you don't have one of these, get one. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-I...e+spark+tester
    Fastest way to check for a no spark or weak spark. Checking in open air is not the same as checking in a cylinder with compressed air and fuel. The amount of power needed to spark under those conditions is far greater. At 12 bucks you can't afford to not have one!
    I think warrantying it is not a bad idea. Electronics generally fail fairly quickly, or last a long time. Just like a rebuilt engine, or a machine tool. My number one rule of diagnosing is always suspect the new parts. I've been burned too many times assuming because something is newer it is still good.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Got my spark tester in. And nothing. While cranking no spark at all. When u turn the key on I get a faint spark and the same when I turn the key of none while cranking.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It sounds to me like a bad icm again. I would warranty that distributor. The wiring should look like this little sketch. Make sure your icm isnt hooked up to the 6volt side of the ballast resistor. That would probably burn it up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition wiring.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	20888

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes it would - dc circuits with low voltage draw more current to make up the shortfall, which cooks things...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Got the dist out they have one for me tomorrow. I should have it back in this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you are ever unfortunate enough to end up on your lid, you'll soon realise that bar is worth every cent. I want one for my Gen1 as the turret on the cab has all the structural integrity of a chinese take away box. You got a rear slider window too? The 'junker' is shaping up nicely - very cool
    I've got one on my truck. I recently removed the back braces tho. They took up too much bed space. I've got my lights mounted on the other part.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    https://youtu.be/r7jDH1kRfo0

2nd distributor is back in and running. Test drive went good. Drove it to work this morning and as I was in the McDonalds drive thru the temp gauge started climbing. A/C was on and they were running slow as normal so I'll be monitoring that now.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Glad to hear she is up and running again! Check your fan clutch. With the engine hot if you shut the truck off and then try and spin the fan it shouldn't go more than 1 revolution. Thats the rule of thumb I know, but someone more familiar with these trucks may have a different amount of rotation.
    I run a rigid mounted dirt track fan that required drilling out and retapping the water pump flange. Cools the truck awesome, but the water pump isn't made for that much thrust load. I got about 30 or 35k miles out of the first water pump it was mounted on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123