Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    Try running a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the 12 volt side of the ballast resistor. That will give power to the ballast resistor, coi,l and icm. If it starts up then you know it's something upstream of the ballast resistor, ignition switch or wiring. If it doesn't start its something downstream of that connection, ICM, coil, ballast resistor, or bad ground.

I tried what u said I found something very interesting. As soon as I hooked it up everything came on like I turned the key to "on"

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Still won't start with the jumper wire. Gonna try and warranty the distributor. They won't just swap out icm they want the whole distributor.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It was backfeeding to the keyed side of the switch once the jumper was hooked up. If you disconnect the power feed to the resistor from the ignition it wont do that, but no harm done. If you don't have one of these, get one. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-I...e+spark+tester
    Fastest way to check for a no spark or weak spark. Checking in open air is not the same as checking in a cylinder with compressed air and fuel. The amount of power needed to spark under those conditions is far greater. At 12 bucks you can't afford to not have one!
    I think warrantying it is not a bad idea. Electronics generally fail fairly quickly, or last a long time. Just like a rebuilt engine, or a machine tool. My number one rule of diagnosing is always suspect the new parts. I've been burned too many times assuming because something is newer it is still good.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Got my spark tester in. And nothing. While cranking no spark at all. When u turn the key on I get a faint spark and the same when I turn the key of none while cranking.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It sounds to me like a bad icm again. I would warranty that distributor. The wiring should look like this little sketch. Make sure your icm isnt hooked up to the 6volt side of the ballast resistor. That would probably burn it up
    ignition wiring.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes it would - dc circuits with low voltage draw more current to make up the shortfall, which cooks things...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Got the dist out they have one for me tomorrow. I should have it back in this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you are ever unfortunate enough to end up on your lid, you'll soon realise that bar is worth every cent. I want one for my Gen1 as the turret on the cab has all the structural integrity of a chinese take away box. You got a rear slider window too? The 'junker' is shaping up nicely - very cool
    I've got one on my truck. I recently removed the back braces tho. They took up too much bed space. I've got my lights mounted on the other part.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    https://youtu.be/r7jDH1kRfo0

2nd distributor is back in and running. Test drive went good. Drove it to work this morning and as I was in the McDonalds drive thru the temp gauge started climbing. A/C was on and they were running slow as normal so I'll be monitoring that now.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Glad to hear she is up and running again! Check your fan clutch. With the engine hot if you shut the truck off and then try and spin the fan it shouldn't go more than 1 revolution. Thats the rule of thumb I know, but someone more familiar with these trucks may have a different amount of rotation.
    I run a rigid mounted dirt track fan that required drilling out and retapping the water pump flange. Cools the truck awesome, but the water pump isn't made for that much thrust load. I got about 30 or 35k miles out of the first water pump it was mounted on

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    electric fan is what to go with - it cools better, and frees up horsepower.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Any recommendations on an electric? The one I tried didn’t have enough flow. I made a shroud for it too

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    get one 1800 and up CFM - I used a Derale on Geronimo
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Coolant must have just been low. Put some water in it and its has been finfine since. I did order some new primary idle jets today. I'm gonna try and get some some more giddy up out of the old weber.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I suspect my poor luck with electric was because i used a questionable fan. The Derale's look nice, and cost 4 times as much as the one I tried.
    Hope she's not drinking the coolant.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I ordered some new primary idle jets from Allstate carb. I had a 60 in it. I put a 70 in and readjusted everything and it ran a lot better. It still seems to want to quit pulling after 55mph. I can hit 65 but it takes for ever and it feels like it done it has no more in it. Wonder if larger secondary jets would do the trick too?

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Still has a lot of crackles in the exhaust.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Try dialling in your ignition tune. Hold the rpm @ 2000 and gently swing the distributor either way between advance and retard until you notice the engine rpm's spike by themselves, back it off just a touch then lock the distributor in place (it wouldn't hurt to undersize the plug gaps either by about 0.05 - 0.1mm) Should give you more midrange to top end power, an improvement in top speed and pull through gear changes faster. As for the secondary jets, going up might cause a flat spot in the transition into midrange. The exhaust crackle could be an indication that the timing is retarded. Also the exhaust system design has a hand in it too. Less bends and restrictions cause the exhaust pulse to scavenge the combustion chambers a little more aggressively.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Scheduled to have a new windshield installed Wednesday. I've been getting death stares from all the local cops. Busted windshield and a dead inspection sticker I'm not sure how I've made it this long.

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    20180808_161300.jpg

New windshield installed.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    How much did the new glass set you back? I'm curious on how the prices compare to Oz. I can get new glass for $110 AUD and another $110 will get it installed.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    It was 185.00 USD installed.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm, converting USD to AUD, it's cheaper in Oz but not too far off price wise ($20ish USD)
    I'm surprised - for once I'm actually getting a decent deal locally

Array
    Status
    Hurricane wv
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Still no luck on getting some top speed out of it. Tried to swing the distributor back and forth. No luck. More timing it was wanting to backfire through the carb less timing it bogged and barely hit 45 mph. It's been running fine since I swapped the primary idle jet. It will run up to 3500 4000 rpm in first thru third gear but as soon as u go into fourth about 2500 rpm is it and in fifth with the pedal to the floor 2100-2200 rpm is all it's got. I'm gonna swap air filters to see if that will help some but it has a k&n that I cleaned and oiled as soon as I got it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast