Thread: Stuck in Gear

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50

Stuck in Gear

First of all hello again. So down to business. I have a 1989 Ram 50 manual 5sp 2l 2WD. It was loaned out to my dad while he was fixing his silverado and he managed to get it completely stuck in fifth gear. Unfortunately i do not have any more information about it than that at the moment (He was not too clear with the details) but i can list the current state that the truck is in. (Note that i have done none of this work so i will need to check it out to see how it behaves) The shifting lever was removed i am guessing to make sure that nothing broke off, it looks okay to me but i will be uploading pictures for review tomorrow just in case. Also the drive shaft is removed and in the bed because we had to transport it closer so that i can start beating away at it. Tomorrow i am going to start a thorough inspection of how everything feels (Reattach the shift lever and see how it behaves) and pop under to see if anything obvious needs to be readjusted. My guesses are that it might be either the clutch fork or possibly linkage but i wont be able to make the most educated of guesses until i take a look tomorrow. Any hints/tips/suggestions or ideas of what the problem might be would be most helpful.

On a lighter note after i fix this fiasco i have a nice list of stuff i would like to do to this truck. It is going to be turned into my daily driver/play vehicle (Nothing too crazy) and i look forward to using this sites resources pretty heavily.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Here is a picture of the poor beast, hopefully the before and after photos will be drastically different.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I have a KM 132 Transmission from a 1987 2.0l, My truck was originally an auto, but the standard was switched into it and from the way it looks it probably doesn't have any more than 100,000 miles on it. I also have half a parts truck (The back half is being converted into a trailer) if you needed a parts truck.

Hay Abeenamator. If you are looking to sell parts then make a Donation to the board bsfore trying to list them......
    Last edited by camoit; 11-19-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    There is a good amount i could pull from the front half after i get the transmission figured out. Hopefully i don't need to buy a new one but i will let you know if it comes down to it. Really hoping that it is something easy and more importantly cheap given the slow trickle of money nowadays.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm trying to get some little odds and ends together to put on the Sell to Donate. Sorry about that, I sometimes forget that I need to be a donator to sell anything. No I will not sell to donate my tranny, But If you find something small you need, such as Razmear needs just the receiving end of the seat belt, I will sell it for $5 -$15 depending on what it is.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I will sell it for $5 -$15 depending on what it is.
    Well, of course in the Sell to Donate section, IWANNA BE A DONATOR!! So then I will be Abeemandonator, LOL, never mind thats too confusing.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Okay so after messing with the truck here is where i am. Reattached shifting lever and drive shaft. The shifter will move into the positions of all of the gears however it has quite a bit of play. Testing out in "neutral" with the truck running i slowly released the clutch and it is definitely stuck in gear even though the shifter itself moves around (Can hear rpms drop as the engine attempts to take on the load). Since the clutch allows me to remove the pressure and engage i am assuming that it cannot be a clutch issue such as a broken clutch fork. At this point i am assuming that i have to drop the transmission and see if anything glaringly obvious rears its head. Anyone have an idea of what would be wrong with the transmission/experienced this before?

Also on a side note where the shift lever inserts (Into the circle) is that part and the mount for the shifter part of the transmission itself or the truck? Secondly are the bolts that hold the shifter down supposed to screw in flush because mine refused to go in all the way and resulted in me sheering one of them off.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It sounds like the shifter fork is jammed - you need to take the tranny apart unless you can drop the pan and pry the fork loose - last one that I knew of that jammed like that the kid grabbed the shifter and slammed it, shattering the main bearings in the tranny. The bolts for the shifter do not screw in flush, and are very easy to shear off - just ask anyone on here who has worked on these trucks. Use lock and flat washers on them to prevent bottoming out the bolts.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Just had my very well worded verbose response typed up and then hit the wrong button. In summary.

1. Thank you

2. how do i fix me screwing up and sheering the bolt?

3. my truck is super low and requires me to jack it up before the real jack will even fit underneath it, how much clearance do i need to pull the tranny and how may i achieve it?

4. Where and how easy is it to fix/replace shifter forks?

5. Thank you

Just about sums it up

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    To remove the brioken bolt, try using a small drill bit and run it backward to see if you can spin it out. If you can get a set of car ramps, then jack are up the truck and set it on them, you should be able to remove the tranny - 2 sets would be even better. Use pieces of wood, like plywood, stacked in increasing height, to give you the clearance you need for the jack; I have a set of trailer leveling ramps made out of aluminum I use for my lowered truck. The forks require the tranny to come apart for replacement - the parts are available for these trannies, so fixing it isn't impossible, but finding another tranny may be the quicker way to get it back on the road.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Thanks, not worried about the speed of it. I wont have the money for another 3 weeks or so to do much of anything. I might try putting some plywood under my ramps and see how much clearance i can achieve. Will try to pull the transmission this weekend and take a poke around. Pics to come shortly afterwards of whatever is wrong. REALLY hoping it is just shifter forks. Do you happen to know the model of transmission in my truck BTW so i can try to find parts for it if it is something easily fixed?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Km132

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yep, same as mine, a KM 132, here is a link to the transmission types, and If you happen to score a 4x4 tranny about the same year, the transfer case pulls off quite easily and you can put the 2wd tail housing on it, or keep it so you have low range for those heavy loads.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I had a tranny get stuck in N and when I dropped it out it was the finger on the end of the shaft that the shifter moves. in Abeemanator's link they call it a neutral control finger. 3hrs worth of work to replace a $13 part............

Array
    Status
    Garden Valley, CA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    my friends ranger got stuck in 3rd, we just pulle the shifter out and put it back in and it was fine.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Arghh got rained out this weekend and next weekend i cannot get to the property my truck is on
    Eventually that transmission will drop... mark my words!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's also might be that the bolt in one of the shift forks fell out. You can pull the pan and look to see what is going on.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Okay pulled the pan, going to try and post a video if i can figure it out. Got too lazy to edit some stuff out though so there is a little bit of me having trouble going into neutral. Any insights welcome video should download at the link. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4035023/2011...-25-22_161.mp4

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Also i had some stuff that fell out of the transmission that could only be described as "shrapnel". they didn't fall out the first time i took the pan off but they did after it was pressure washed and moved back into the garage.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    That does not sound good.
    As for the video the best way is to upload to youtube. It will convert the format to something that the board will be able to use. Then you click the
    Then all you do is put in the URL. Otherwise it would need to be a WMV to be an attachment. mp4 is a phone video, apple format.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Im not seeing anything moving when going left and forward/back. which relates to 5th and reverse?

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Here is a youtube link if the dropbox download does not work.

Here are a few pictures that are of where the shifter lever inserts and its cover plate.

Last edited by camoit; 12-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I could see things moving But it was hard to see if 5th R was moving. I could see 3 4 and 1 2. The part that fell out what do they look like. A round pin? or what. Here is a link that might help.

http://www.mightyram50.net/d-50/Fact...AND_MANUAL.pdf

On your video you did not have enough of the URL It should have been the hole thing. Like this. I added it into your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uxG...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by SubGothius; 01-24-2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lafayette, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    okay thanks for fixing the video.
    The pieces that fell out were 4 mangles pieces of metal that look like they used to be flat. i will try to get some picture of them if they did not get thrown out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast