Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Question Hello from Arizona!

I bought me a beat up 1989 Power Ram 4x4 that runs, but I think it's stuck in 4 low. I paid too much for it I'm sure. It leaks everywhere, too, but I wanted this truck to rebuild the chassis up. I was able to drive it some 20 miles home. I have the original service manuals and want to rebuild the 2.6 with a Weber 38. Since I am taking everything off to rebuild or replace, why not? I have read a lot on here, but I don't know if it's a mistake to keep the 2.6. I want a 5 speed rock crawler without requiring welding or major fabrication and decent HP. Any threads that would help, or insight would be awesome. I'm honestly on the fence if I should just sell it all and go back to being a yota guy, but I want this truck!

Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Okay, that last bit about getting rid of it was a bit harsh! Posting a pic. It's an Arizona truck so it has no rust, even the leaky parts are ridiculously clean. Just keep reading so much about mods and stuff people are doing, I'm not sure what to do. If I were to start a rebuild from ground up, is the 2.6L with flat pistons, better exhaust, non-jet heads, and weber 38 a good build?

My Ram50.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Don't worry about the whole "I'm gonna get rid of this thing and buy a Yota" jibe, you'll see the light soon enough. The 2.6's strongest point is torque. Rip all the smog junk off it, add headers, a decent exhaust and upgrade to the 38 DGES and you're on the path to making good, useable HP and torque. There's a ton of helpful info on sorting out the 4x4 - a number of members have similar issues with their transmissions being locked out of low/high range. Try driving it in reverse a few feet, get it in neutral and then attempt to change gear ranges before selecting 1st. The transfer case might (more likely will) need a flush out and some fresh blood put through it.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Toyotas are great but they're all over the place. Resurrect one of these cool and rare old Mitsubishi/Dodges??? Then you'll have done something special!

Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I agree with that, these are awesome. All of the old Mistu based trucks and SUV's. From what I can tell, I need a lot, the interior is in good shape, seats are gone, but that's nothing. I really like the Montero V6 swap with the dash, but that's more than I want to do.

I tried all the tricks about getting it out of the 4 low situation, but I'm cracking open everything and replacing seals, bearings, everything that needs it! I have read a lot of bashing on the 145 trans on many sites, but one thing I can tell, is I love the wait it shifts and is very responsive. I'll post as I go along.

Awaiting money to get rebuild kits for the transfer case and trans. If any one has one for sale, or knows a good place to get parts, please let me know. I have not been lucky out here with salvage yards. That surprised me since we have a ton of them. This site is AWESOME!!! Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You'll figure it out eventually, JDub, hang in there. I've only owned my Dodgie since April and it's 2 years older than yours but has the same 2.6l motor. I paid a couple thousand less than I thought I was going to have to pay for a decent Toyota, knowing that I'd enjoy spending time and money to fix it up. I started with a Weber carb kit and as I did that I noticed all the exhaust leaks from the old stock exhaust manifold. Thanks to this Mighty Ram group I just happened to hear about a good salvage yard in Portland, OR and my wife and I had to go there for family stuff. I thought I should ask for a front grill or seats...but the guy pulled out an old Hooker header for my motor!! I couldn't pull my wallet out fast enough when he asked $40 for it! Good luck, keep after it! Bill in Colorado

Array
    Status
    England
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    love that truck, we didnt get the club cab or what ever it is, so cool!