Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions to help finalize a parts search list, 4x4 drive train build.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Have you had a chance to get the parts, I'm curious how well they work out for you

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Look up the numbers type into a web search and you will be surprised what parts you can come up with! Also look at car-part.com for some of the other items.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thank you for the input Law-dog. Been using car-part but I still need to learn how to speak junkyard. So far I have ordered two lots from two yards and they have been rather screwed up.

Now I am standing on 4x 94 Monty front knuckles of which none have the hard lines or calipers(I asked specifically for them both times not to mention I asked for sport knuckles the second time...getting really frustrated dealing with junkyards over the phone).

I do have the Starquest diff, looks really nice but I have not broken into it yet.

I have steering from a 94 Monty but I do not have the steering box.

I have not yet ordered expendables, which I will need to do. I was reading around and decided I would prefer to make my own bushings. I feel that most of the community that makes them are a bit to casual but they should be able to be built extra right by a DIYer.

As far as the project as a whole? My wife-poo that I have not seen in almost 14 years decided to get a lawyer and attempt to rake me over the coals last week. All my finances are tied up. I have no mode of transportation as I was planning to put my head down and get this finished. And I have to put together one of the longest financial disclosure statements the judge may have seen. I have been a hoarder for years now. To bad most isn't worth much.

Guessing this may take some time. Been fun being part of the community. And I appreciate the good conversations I have had on the site here.

Hopefully I can get back to my finances before August. Else I may not have a house either(assuming wife-poo does not find a way to walk away with it).

She shouldn't have a leg to stand on. Have not seen her in 14 years, she has a beau and two kids with him. But this is WI and the courts can end up in the woman's favor no matter what the circumstance.

Anyways, once I get things figured I was going to make up a video series to cover most of my mods and repairs. I was also planning on measuring and comparing as many parts as I could scrounge to see what fits what definitively, or what mods could be done. Hopefully the storm clears and I can start getting things going.

Anyone have vids they want? It is time for a life change. Feel I would enjoy serving the DIY community. I guess I should get on line a bit more often too. It has been feeling a bit lonely out in the country by myself. I do not mind a week at a time at all. But after a few it can get old.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Woah, a lot to digest there. Are you planning on using twin piston calipers? If the Monty front hubs are the same generation you might be able to swap Mitsu Challenger calipers onto them (cannot verify if this is a direct nut and bolt swap - I'm using them on my Gen 1 to Gen 2 front brake swap and the offset is different by 1/4", not a lot but that means 1/4" of the pads overhang outside the disc edge) You may also need to mix and match hoses and lines. As for your personal situation, surely access you assets ended with whatever you had collected ended once you had both parted ways (e.g. anything post that is not within her rights to claim) Gotta get armed with info to know where you stand.

Videos - are good. Go to youtube, set up an account. If you can make a decent vid they have the potential to make income. Won't be pulling cash straight away but at least you will get you content out there and it can benefit others. And don't just do grease monkey stuff either. Maybe a video log of your progress, where you are and what it's like, and getting to see your area from your perspective in the truck as it evolves.
    Last edited by geezer101; 06-21-2018 at 04:06 AM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Do not mean to dump my issues on others. Just informing others of my situation as to why I am delayed in posting.

I am guessing I have my facts wrong yet again? I thought the monty had twin piston calipers.

Would the offset be fixed with the 315mm rotors vs the 285mm(not sure if 285 is correct anymore...)?

Anyways, guess it will not matter for a bit. Might be able to call the car repairs "subsistence" costs... Paperwork says I can only sell things to make up legal fees and "subsistence". I am fairly sure I will come out ok. But in the mean time... life is pretty silly...

And as far as youtube, it has been a bit dead for awhile as far as new content producers. It will be my last form of release. Steemit will likely be my first posting site(I get to keep far more of the marketing profit). Then release it after a week to all other platforms. For now it will be the truck but afterwords it will be me traveling for rockhounding and gold prospecting. I should be able to keep it interesting enough and a friend of mine is interested in doing the editing. We will find out how it goes. Seems like a fun life, and I can live off about $450 a month if I tighten my belt a bit.

Honestly that was the point of buying my Mighty. My intention was to run it all over the western US showing off prospecting spots for gems, minerals, and gold(the thing I know the most about). If my video income could fill my gas tank I would be infinitely happy. If it could also pay my license fees for fishing, I would be set for years. Set till I am dead if everything goes well or ends shortly. I would not be put off at all by falling off a cliff or getting bit by a deadly snake. If I made it though, the ratings would be good in any case... I guess they would be high too if I didn't live but I wouldn't get much out of it...

I was hoping to video my exploits in the upper peninsula of Michigan. But this spring did not turn out as I had planned. I am hoping all my issues are behind me by fall and I can do a serious trip out west on a northern track. If it gets late enough it might be a trip out northwest then south for the rest of winter. Sure would like to be gone till next spring if I do not get out till late.

Gall I can not keep any post short...

Planning for the time being, I might end up making myself a motorized bike just so that I can have something dependable to get me around till I get my legal issues figured and straightened. 25mph may be a bit slow, but at least it is cheap and reliable. Might make my video series too. Have some crazy ideas of making a front dual trike and the parts to do it, minus the motor(thinking harbor freight 79cc for $99). Stinks I will have to ride it for four hours to get to court proceedings, but better then letting her get what she has been no part of. And I do not want to even try finding a cheap vehicle to rely on.

I was not planning to offer to dry a video series. I am not a gifted enough mechanic. I plan to show people all my failures in fast forward, with lots of commentary and voice over. As well as share all the things I am curious about. And all the crazy projects I come up with along the way. The intent is to keep humble and funny, keep the videos tightly trimmed and moving. And to take others along with me on my adventures no matter how little I know of the situation. Hoping it will be worth the watch to see me break things, fix things, finding thing, and the chance to watch me seriously injure myself.

Sort of thinking of theming myself after the Red Green Show but a fair bit more serious well maintaining the humor. Handy Man corner, some story, even some Adventures with Bill, if you know the reference. Really like that shows style, if one could say they had a "style". Hope I can keep up the worthwhile content.

I have a troop of prospectors as friends that should serve well. And a friend who wishes to do all the editing to make a decent video.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    The Montero Sport with 16" wheels nets the 315mm rotors. Gen 2 Montero are the 285mm.

For rear axle and suspension, consider the 97-99 Sport 4x4, too. Will net 1" lift from springs, disck brakes, 1" wider track, and often LSD...some with the unicorn air locker. Gearing might be 4.636 or 4.90.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Greetings all again,

Life is starting again. Divorce finalized last month. I had to collect an inch worth of paperwork and a gifted lawyer. But came out unscathed. Now I am free again. Time to start forward movement again. Currently working on putting together a budget again. It will be much smaller then I had planned before. As long as the truck gets moving I will be happy. Got by last year on $2000... A tight belt for sure. Hoping to get $3-4000 put together soon to get back on the truck. Of course with only getting by on $2000 last year, I have a few bills to catch up on too.

First off is to get the front end put together. Second will be a rebuilt 5 speed. Third rear end. Lastly engine bay. And body along the way when I have more time then money.

To get back in the mood, I read Camoit's build thread start to finish. A great write up, and a nice refresher on projecting.

Anyways, really just writing to say hello again! Hope everyone is doing well. I will be buying an action cam within the month and get started posting videos on my progress.

Thank you everyone for your input and support!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah life happens when you are busy making other plans Good to hear that things are finally looking up for you, hopefully this is gonna be your year. I have a feeling you're going to get a lucky break or 2 if you're in the right place and you'll make some good ground on your build. Keep us posted!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12