Thread: Questions to help finalize a parts search list, 4x4 drive train build.

Threaded View

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T

Questions to help finalize a parts search list, 4x4 drive train build.

I spent a long time looking through the 4x4 and powertrain sections of the forum. After much reading(a days worth), taking notes and saving links, I have come with about as many questions as I started with. But hopefully they are better ones. I am hoping to get most of these questions answered so that this can serve as a useful tool to others that are approaching this truck in the same way, for similar intent.

Anyone have a John Baker catalog scanned? That stuff in infinitely interesting. *answered. There are two in the Resource Center, Manuals section. Great little reads. Check it out if you haven't.*

I really like the external/dual shock mod. Anyone ever measure the mod?

If I want the "Full Monty" front end... I just buy the upper control arm, steering hub, rotor, and caliper from a 92-95 and "slap them in" with a bit of plumbing work? That gets me a little lift and dual caliper brakes right? Can I retain my manual lock out hubs? Is the scrap yard the only place to pick up the hub bolts? I was thinking of just grinding some standard allen screws but the shoulder would be short.

I saw a reference to using the master cylinder from a Montero Sport as a bolt on upgrade, That so? What year?

From there it could be LSD from a Starion/Starquest(82/83-89). Or an ARB locker(expensive!).

But what would be the best rear to match? There were a ton suggested. Rodeo, Montero, Leaf Sprung Montero sport, Montero SR, ARB locker...
    As I recall the SR(92-97? 94-96? and 98-00w/ cold weather package) or Rodeo(1997?) is the holy grail(air locker), MS is next then Montero(drum brake).

I think I like the idea of an air locker more then a limited slip. Seems it would be more efficient when not needed, and simpler with less repair time. Should I be slapped? Will trading anything in to replace the free differentials cost me power/economy? I only plan to add an intercooler and improve breath-ability as far as performance is concerned, maybe a different turbo at some point, but likely, no.

Can anyone help clarify this decision?

I figure I should know what to ask for if I am going to spend a day calling wrecking yards looking for parts.
    Last edited by trashnomancer; 05-17-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: To add options.