Array
    Status
    Spring Hill, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

New MM Owner

97652472-7E01-4A6A-9429-5C4BA9777764.jpg2FCC5188-9D08-411E-A4B4-16DF3B55CAD9.jpg259D0D69-7876-41A2-A567-47E14442D6F3.jpg5BB9653F-E0AB-4B61-90B6-19271AB5C1C7.jpgF0AE8EDF-8248-435E-9F95-404D590D5B31.jpgCC13263E-1744-4782-B5E4-B17DA4420353.jpgEFE51B93-3906-43CF-905C-8DC61BA82B1A.jpg4EE79048-3C32-4F9E-99C4-7AB5283D47C7.jpgHi All...wanted to introduce myself and my truck. I have a feeling I’ll be getting lots of good advice from you all. So I’d actually been looking for an old Isuzu pickup due to fond memories of one I had many years ago but wasn’t finding anything good. Then this 95 MM with 207k miles showed up for sale about ten minutes from me for $1500 so I bought it.

The prior owner had it almost 20 years and was the second owner. She said it needed a valve cover gasket and the AC needed charging. I obviously took those with a grain of salt, especially the latter. It has no power steering which sucks but it’s not a daily driver so I’ll live with it. So far my main focus has been trying to get the 20 years of cigarette smoke out of the vehicle which has been challenging. I got rid of the carpet, took bench out and ripped off the fabric and soaked the cores in bleach and water. They smell way better now. I’ve been wiping the layers of yellow off everything and even took out the blower and some ducts to clean. I tried finding replacement seatbelts but all I came across were aftermarket and they all seem to have bad reviews...might just try soaking mine to get the smell out.

Theres definitely oil oil leaking as I see it all over the lower part of the motor but I need to clean it up to try to find the sources. I did get a valve cover gasket and plan to start there. It also looks like the washer on the drain plug is shot and causing a leak. Overall it’s not dripping much it’s just that the engine has lots of oil on it. Could be any combo of things. Another thing I noticed is that the steering is crazy loose and it floats all over on the road. Once I get the interior done and shift to mechanics I’ll investigate that too. Maybe it’s just the steering box adjustment but I did grab an idler arm that I found a deal on just for the heck of it.

Anyway I’m excited to get the interior finished so I can actually drive it...hard to do with no seat. I attached some pics. Comments and questions welcome.

Robert

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum, Robert. Nice truck ! Your determination to get tobacco smells out of it is admirable. And 207k miles isn't bad - mine has 250k and is still going strong.

Start up a build thread so you can document your improvements for all to see. We love what people come up with to improve these trucks.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Yeah, buying a vehicle that the owner smoked in is a different kind of challenge to fix up. The up side to this is it's only a single cab truck and you could take everything out without too much grief. The rest of your MM looks to be in great shape both body wise and cosmetically overall. Take your belts out, get some premixed spray on sugar soap and soak it in with everything full extended and nail it with a pressure cleaner. It will get everything out of the nylon weave. Let it dry and give them a coat of silicon spray. This will restore it's colour and pliability + make belt retraction smoother. If the front end is all original (which is likely) I think you're in for a full rebuild. Sounds like the rest of it is basic stuff (if you don't have bad crank seals the other leaks are easy fixes).
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Everyone waiting at the door to greet our new members is so cool. Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome aboard!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Try soaking your belts in Persil in a bucket,works well.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Greetings! New member myself.

Anyone know of a major issue just treating the truck with ozone well the fan is on high? Maybe another fan circulating the cab. Could it oxidize the plastics? A layer of silicone should retard that reaction. Just a thought.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by trashnomancer View Post
    Greetings! New member myself.

Anyone know of a major issue just treating the truck with ozone well the fan is on high? Maybe another fan circulating the cab. Could it oxidize the plastics? A layer of silicone should retard that reaction. Just a thought.
    There seems to be bigger issues with using an ozone generating device other than what it'll do to the plastic trim - like it's effects on living things (you know, like you...) -

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

I had no idea what they did but after reading that article, it looks like nothing good...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Use of ozone is a serious subject for sure Geezer. It should not be approached lightly. Ozone straight out "burns"(oxidizes) anything it come in contact with.

If I were to pursue an ozone method I would definitely seal all vents and drain holes, run a small generator outside in a windy place for only a short time, and not expect to enter the truck for a few days. I use one designed to treat hunting cloths in a little 30gal plastic tote(tape the lid on tight). I have done books and toys with it. They come out with no smell at all. Over-treatment gets you a white stain of burnt whatever. It usually wipes off. Otherwise a layer of silicone hides it well.

The key is to respect it for how powerful it is. And use as little as possible, for as long as possible(without collateral damage) in as controlled an environment as possible. Try to use up all you produce. And let none escape.

Definitely do not breath it!

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    That was a good read Geezer. I may be oversold on the stuff. That was a discussion of the use of ozone in populated spaces.

It does note that it is used in fire restoration, but that they do not know enough about the bi-products produced.

May be best to stay away from the whole idea, at least blow out all the everything waring an organic gas respirator before you habitate it again.