Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Quiet Air Cleaner for Weber

I HATE the toilet bowl noise of the air cleaner that comes with a Weber install. I hate the hot air going into my engine. I hate the dirt I find inside the throttle even though I cleaned and oiled the filter. I concluded I needed something better and with that goal in mind, I went Junkyard shopping. please excuse the upsid edown pics and general hokey nature of the job as it's just a first attempt to prove the viability of the concept, I'll make better parts now that I know it works.
    Attachment 20379
    why is the photo sideways I cannot fix. but this is a can air filter for a buick 3100 from the early Nineties?. It is metal, which I can weld. the outlet nozzle is on the top and is 3 1/2 round. the inlet can be clocked in any relation to the mounting bracket underneath. I screwed it to the fender and pointed the inlet at the back of my headlight where the nice cool air comes in two inches away.
    Attachment 20380
    again with the crap upside down pic. I can't. I've tried, I just cant even. but here is an overview. metal duct from the Buick can filter to a dog bowl with an exhaust pipe welded to the side. A flat plate made from a scrap saw blade base. I'll probably keep the dog bowl bit, use the rubber ring from a scrap air filter to seal the base of it to a better base plate. two bolts welded to the surface of the base and two nuts and gaskets keep the lid on.
    the original rubber hose will be replaced with a 2 inch long section of exhaust pipe expanded to fit the air cleaner lid. or perhaps flared from 3 to 3 1/2 and then welded to the lid. then I can throw away the ugly black hose. A brace from the can body over sideways to the inner fender seems like a good idea too.
    DOES IT WORk. hell yes it works, cabin noise is really reduced, I can talk at normal volumes again. power does not seem to be affected. It will take some more sealing and work to make this actually work every day but I knocked this together in an afternoon as a test and I'm impressed with it. The Buick seems plentiful a U-Pull yards, the one I went to had three examples and because it's not got any sensors in it, all the air cans were there.
    IMG_4814.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is the one drawback on a Weber install - a decent air cleaner set up. You ticked all the boxes with what they do wrong except having water splash up under it in bad weather and it getting soaked in condensation when it's really cold overnight. I don't mind the induction noise myself but losing torque and the air charge being at risk of not being filtered properly I do mind. It'll be easier and cheaper to find replacement filter elements for it too I bet. The attachments aren't working in your post (would be good to see all of the pics) but nice work with taking a lateral approach to improving your install
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hooley shite - Mad Max eat ya heart out! There are Weber carb hats off old Land Rover engines but they are hard to find and kind of pricey to buy new. A blast of paint to pretty it up and stop it from rusting and it's a done deal (those saw teeth scare the crap out of me though) Any reason why that tensioner pulley is still mounted up?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I'm working on getting AC and power steering installed, hence the tensioner. I think ive figured out a gasket for the carb hat too- cut the rubber ring off an air filter.

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I'm working on getting AC and power steering installed, hence the tensioner. I'll probably make a new base out of something less sharp. the dog dish stays though. I could have used an aluminum pot from goodwill if I could TIG. the pot lid would probably be a perfect base.