Thread: Gurmbles Gets Some Love! Or 100 problems and finding a project isn't one of them.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T

Gurmbles Gets Some Love! Or 100 problems and finding a project isn't one of them.

I am starting this thread to keep track of my rebuild process for a 1984 Mighty Max 4x4 manual with a 4d56-t engine(originally had the 4d55 with no T), that I affectionately call Grumbles. In doing so I hope to help others who pick these up keep them running for as long as possible, also to get some help and advice on the way and lastly but not leastly, to meet some great people and have some great conversations.

As of an hour ago, Grumbles got a serious cleaning with a pressure washer(hour and a half at 1700psi). I feel it lost 10lbs or better of grease, road trash, rust welts, and chipped paint. Lots more red showing on the little black truck now.

As of the start of this thread I have 260miles on the truck, most of which were driving it home. Lost 2 quarts of oil on the way home. Heard many bad noises. Drove slow and had all my fingers and toes crossed. But it made it home.

So far, I have fixed:
    Intake leaks
    Main front seal
    Adjusted Valves(big improvement)
    Inspected timing belt
    Replaced a missing bolt on the intake
    Replaced a missing bolt on the transfer case mount
    Replaced the glow plugs(still needs a new relay)
    performed quick adjustment to hood bumpers

The day after I got it home I took somewhere around 100 photos and inventoried all the issues I could identify right away. Problems added up to over 100 issues that need to be solved.

It started raining so I figured I would get started with the build log well everything was still wet.

I do not plan to "restore" the truck but instead halt the rust and do a great deal of customization, mainly to the interior.

My current list of issues:

Exterior Issues, Front to back(28 issues)
    Bumper: Dented, oxidized
    Grill: broken, missing a chunk
    Hood: Dent on PS on front edge, looks challenging to remove
    Underguard: Rusted, Twisted
    Fenders: off d50, junk paint job, marker lights wires clipped
    Antenna: rusted
    Lights: Spoiled
    Turn signals: oxidized
    Hood vent panel, scratched, light rust, prettiest part of this trucks body.
    Wipers: rusted
    Windshield trim: Oxidized, clips shifted
    Door pillars: light oxidization
    Roof: heavily dented, lightly rusted
    Door chrome: Overall good, needs a couple patches on body mount
    Driver door: rust along bottom seam, and lower rear, small spots elsewhere
    Driver Rocker: almost completely gone
    Driver Cab Corner: nearly gone
    Passenger door: same as driver door but with much heavier rust along back side
    PS Rocker: Better then drivers but still gone
    PS Cab Corner: Better then drivers, Still gone
    Cab rear light: Heavily oxidized, May remove to run umbilicus for RV conversion.
    PS bed:Light cancer patches, small dent at bottom seam before wheel, not sure how easy this will be to get out
    Driver side Bed: Large rust hole in front, Crazy rust blush all across top panel
    Bed interior: Numorus mystery holes, 5 small rust holes, a few rough rust spots, Side panels have extensive surface rust, Massive hole in wheel well where support rod mounts to rear
    Tailgate: one heavy rust spot, long dent along bottom side, surface rust along bottom seam
    Rear Bumper: Rusted mismounted, needs to be pulled, stripped, repainted and remounted
    Tail lights: spoiled, needs to be replaced

Engine Compartment front to back(14-28 depending how you want to count)
    Hood release needs adjustment and one new bumper
    Massive over usage of RTV on oil pan
    Radiator heavily corroded
    Dip stick handle broken
    Wiring harness for light is just a scary cobble job
    Bolt missing on intake manifold(fixed) it was a m8-1.25x30
    Hole in intake filter down pipe(was threaded, someone drilled it out, I covered with3 layers of aluminum tape for the time being)
    Needs new throttle cable(chaffed)
    Electrical cobble job on right side of engine(engine harness disconnect)
    11 wiring defects on drivers side
    5 wiring defects on passenger side
    Turbo needs new rubber(reseated slipped boot)
    Fan has sizable stress fractures that were JBed together but repairs already cracking again(there a good metal replacement?)
    No Shrowd(understand I need one from a Montero)

Interior Top to Bottom(20 issues)
    Headliner missing
    front head trim cover is shot
    Sun visors busted(drivers) missing(passenger)
    Door pillar covers shot
    Dash cracked badly
    Radio missing
    Glove compartment hinge broken(just thinking of sandwiching a thick sheet of rubber under what remains of the hinge)
    Door Skins are very rough, missing speakers(will build custom)
    Arm rests are uselessly low, will be relocated when I rebuild door skins
    Seats are rough drivers is almost shot, both are terribly uncomfortable
    Temp control lever covers are all missing(heater core is plugged too, and AC was deleted)
    Dash cluster... Well the fuel guage and spedo work, and the brake light stays on, all else dead/dysfunctional including illumination
    Cobbled light switches, running lights wired to switch next to throttle knob, low and high just two toggles mounted in center console
    Rear window was broken into at one point with screw driver or such, missing latch, will not close completely
    Kick panels rusted out
    Battery installed in cab behind passanger seat, not my first choice but I think I might live with it(I did put it in a battery box at least)
    Still need to figure out what the "Throttle Knob" is for(anyone have the answer?)
    Drivers side floor pan is all but gone, front cab mount just floating hole big enough to shove my foot through with a little effort
    Caps missing on shift knob and drive selector
    Hood release needs lube and adjustment

Under carriage front to back(10 issues)
    Cobbled wire harnes for rear
    Leaf spring rubber shot
    Needs new exhaust(homemade job, sharp corners, corrugated curves, Functional, but highly restrictive, 2")
    Transfer case needs new rear seal, ok for now
    Sway bar end rubber needs replacement
    Transmission /axle mounts need new rubber
    Shock rubber shot, will likely just replace with something nice
    Front tires weather checked and both heavily warn toward drivers side
    Needs new wheel bearings in front at least
    Driver side brake caliper stuck

Ok so it is just short of 90 issues total, I am sure I could get to 100 if I broke them down a bit more or just looked a bit harder...

I could also add on upgrades I have planned, like custom interior, and an intercooler, but it will be a long time till I get to the fun stuff.

So now, after inventorying and photoing most of the issues it is time to get something done.

Feel free to keep up with this thread to watch the progress as I get this little beast back up to par.

I hope to update every couple days at least.

Any questions, comments, parts sources, answers, or just general thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day, the rain has stopped here and it looks like it is starting to dry out, so I better get out there and tear down the front hubs before the rest of the parts show up for the break job(need to get the roters out for turning before I head in to pick up parts, long run).

Later days!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You haven't looked at the radiator yet and the heater/blower unit will be offensive. I managed to completely disassemble the one out of my '85 and recondition it - made new seals, scrubbed the casings clean, chemical flushed the heater core and adjusted all the control linkages. You might not be able to get OEM hoses for it but you can mix and match hoses from completely different cars/vehicles, just takes some imagination and some observational skills. Being able to turn on your cabin vents without it stinking like an old barn and have a heater that actually defrosts the windscreen and keeps your hands and feet icicle free is always welcome. I haven't needed to source a heater valve for it (yet) but I do have another blower unit I can recondition and stash away for the right time. It's a big ask but try to source a wreck and cannibalise it for everything you can. Spares are the ultimate lifeline and will save you time.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    DO post some photos and keep us updated...I found with my build thread people do follow the progress, and tend to cheer you on. It's great to not be alone in these processes, and especially cool that these are MM / Ram 50 enthusiasts.

So off you go, trashnomancer: we'll be here applauding your improvements, and sympathizing with the obstacles, glitches, and disappointments.

It really is a great community

p.s.

Be aware we have a Gallery, where you can also post pictures of Grumbles.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    This post is to keep track of improvements planned and parts sources.

Source of 4x4 rubber and suspension upgrades:
    http://adventuredrivendesign.com/oca...berian+Bushing (thanks Pennyman1)
    upper control arms for lift 92-95 Montero(not sport) *this project has grown to a 4 vehicle mod. Check 4x4 section!*

Possible seats:
    Hyundai xg300(6 way and heat)
    Peugeot 306xsi(never saw one in the US)
    (I have a list of more I found on the forum, but I can not lay my fingers on it at the moment, will add when I do.)

Fan Shroud
    90's Montero Sport

Brake upgrade
    90's Montaro Sport Calipers(dual piston?)

Mods I wish to undertake once the list has been greatly reduced:
    Intercooler build(Got a donor, Stay tuned)
    Custom interior pulled from premium conversion mini van(upper and lower center consoles, may build from scratch)
    Giant towing style side mirrors(because... RV conversion)
    RV box(foam and fiber, sitting height interior, full amenities)
    Yee-haa button(stupid sound effect linked to button, inspired by a bad Sega racing game, inside joke)
    Prospector logo from Dodge product
    Bug deflector W/ custom screen print "Grumbles"
    Some type of hood ornament(TBD)
    Custom vinyl cover to protect paint from chips(might end up as camo to reduce find-ability out in the wild, and to reduce heat gain)
    Fresh brush on bed liner
    Fog lamps
    Additional marker lights(do not want others spoiling my ride)
    Work lights(sizeable LED spotlight, not sure where yet...)
    Wench(little one, mountable on front or rear)
    Cattle catcher/brush guard(heavy, shock mounted, capable of keeping a whitetail out of my grill)
    Nurf Bars(no real idea, just want something to be able to turtle on.)
    Undercarrage wind deflector/skid plate(keep the wind out of the works, can also be used as a venturi pump for the engine bay)
    Possibly other hypermiler mods
    3" mandrel bent exhaust. Would like a better breathing exhaust/turbo manifold. Porting would be fun too. Thermal wrap.
    Oversized insulated intake air filter box with multistage filter(goal is better breath with better filtering)
    Pyrometer install
    Last edited by trashnomancer; 05-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Just coming in for a quick break. Hub ends came off easy and showed the last guy in there really liked anti seize. Sweet. I tried for the hub next. It was already missing bolts, and proved to be a harder foe. I got two free with a bit of force, but the third stood firm. I added a bit of leverage, and I felt I might have twisted the bolt, figuring if I went any further I would break the poor thing, I went to the fourth(and last), it came along easily.

I then went back to the third and it will not move. I think I will pop the hub cover back on, spray it down again and see how the other side goes. Hoping I do not need to drill it out.

Geezer, you got it. The heater core is plugged up, yet another fun project to experience.

And thank you Royster for the heart felt encouragement. Sure helps with patience to know others understand and have experienced the challenges, disappointments, and triumphs of ones current undertaking.

This will be a wild ride and a learning experience for me. I am excited to be walking the road. Can't wait to be driving it...

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    back in again with a question. Anyone know if I can buy the little allen head hub retaining bolts somewhere? Driver hub had two stripped out. So I feel I need to replace 4. But would much prefer to just get all new ones.

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    How do I edit the title of my thread. I just noticed Grumbles is misspelled...

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by trashnomancer View Post
    How do I edit the title of my thread. I just noticed Grumbles is misspelled...
    I can't figure it out either.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Donate to the site and it unlocks the edit function. Wait a minute... what, nobody reads the signature on the bottom of my posts?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    I donated once so far. Still do not see how to edit a thread title. Oh well. Maybe next time.

I have a thread going for my front end build/refresh. Getting the last few things figured out. Anyone with the knowledge to help, please stop by the 4x4 section and chime in. Everything else has been on hold till I dial in the parts list and order what I need. There is a donation bounty on getting all the info together.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thread titles can't be edited by donators - only moderators can edit titles, I think...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980