Thread: Meet Grumbles the Mighty! And it's owner...

Threaded View

Array
    Status
    Central, WI
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T

Meet Grumbles the Mighty! And it's owner...

Yeah, I know some people do not care for others naming their vehicle. I am fine with that.

I picked up Grumbles two weeks ago. And he is a typical Wisconsin truck. Lots of rust, and a disturbing list of issues. I will be starting up a rebuilding log shortly to outline the over 100 issues I have so far identified...

Grumbles is a 4x4 manual with a 4d56-t engine. It originally had the 4d55. The driver floor board is mostly gone in the front. Rocker panels basically gone, cab corners shot, doors rusted, something like 30 electrical repairs to do, lots of hackyness.

As this is a member introduction thread I will describe myself a bit. I have just a little auto mechanic experience. But I rebuild machine tools, so stuck bolts and torque specs are not all to unfamiliar to me. I also have done a fair bit of electronics repair in the past, along with a great deal of mods/hacks/customizations on countless random goods.

I have decided to take on all the electrical and cosmetic issues. Then pick and choose what I wish to tackle as far as mechanical is concerned.

I expect to have a stack of questions as far as fit and finish of mechanical mods. And I can imagine I will run into many problems with the vehicle.

My intent is to get this as right as possible, then build a custom slide in camper and travel the Western states for months on end. Hoping to give Grumbles some exciting twilight years.

Straight off I would like to throw out a few questions just to get the flow started.

Has anyone done a Toyota front axle mod on one of these? I have one sitting in the back yard and I feel it would be quite the upgrade, and it seems it would be almost economical as the front end just keeps adding up in repairs(new bearings, full brake repair, full rubber replacement, tie rods, shocks, etc, etc...).

Anyone find some super premium bucket seats to throw in one of these? I saw a number of posts with people describing compact sports car buckets in but I am looking for something cushy and spacious. Will be looking through the local junk yard for something out of a premium(likely European) touring car as soon as Grumbles is road worthy again.

So far I have had the valves adjusted, timing belt inspected(yeah, I should have just replaced it), front main seal replaced and a new thermostat. Degreasing today(truck is a grease ball). Then will be changing all the fluids. And I might try and pull apart the passenger front hub to replace bearings. Very fearful of those allen head screws. So tiny, so oxidized. I sprayed them down with penetrating oil yesterday, and will be doing it a couple more times today as I clean off all the accumulated grease and grime.

Anyways I guess I should cut this short. It has gotten to be a very long post. Do not want to run people away with shear size.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and can not wait to be talking shop with those in the know.

Later All!
    Attached Images