Status
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Aloha!!!!

Howsit everybody?
    Well got my 88 power ram last month. Ran like shit. Still does hahaha!
    Although i did however, slightly emedy the the cough its weber has. Throttle linkages at carb loose as a goose. Tightened here tighten there. Now i can actually control throttle. Prior, as i release pedal after accelerating it would stay open just enough for secondary to stay open. So got that out the way.
    Than i noticed the gasketts..or lack of them. No middle gaskett. Bottom is ok. Top,(right under carb) whistling a tune back at me with wet lips. (sorry for my humerous story telling) So ordered a gasket kit and now waiting on it. Probably should have ordered a rebuild kit but im one of those wait till it breaks kinda guys. Enrichened mix. Speed screw adjustment. Purrs like mommas pussy cat after a belly full of milk. Although if you really push the rpms itll cough like a bitch. So i just cruz it.
    Lets see...ordered pace setter headers. Basically one bolt holding the flange, @header and cat. Big seperation and gaskett loss. I sound like a my frickin craftsmanyt4500 rollin the road. So waiting on that too. So im thinking after gaskett kit and exhaust my running condition should be crisp. Well now come to think of it i dont know the state of the cat or muffler. Ill check later haha.
    Started process of tune up. Well just an engine oil change so far. Got my gear oil and seal to do the tranny and transfer case. I replaced the carrier bearing and saw all the gunk under the bed above the fron yoke. After that ill do axles. Can any of you tell me whether the seal goes spring side in or out? Mahalo.
    Speaking of transfercase. The 4x4 on this little truck is ABSOLUTELY ACTION!! I mean i feel like this little nimble thing deserves to be converted to straight axel. As it is i feel like i can get in, out, over and around anything i could throw at it. Maybe after a few years ill do the swap. As for now. Something driver keeps popping. So as for suspension. Im gonna do cvaxels than stabilizer bushings first. Than see what i can hear after that. Im assuming ball joints, more bushings, hubs, switch to manual lockers, tie rods/ends, than shocks. I think in that order too. If they break in that order lol.
    Paint job in aug. Raptor liner tinted olive green body. Bumpers etc. Black.
    Honestly timing seems real good to me. So..yeah. Ill adjust valves later. Blah blah blah. It runs. I get to work. I get back home. I get to the good fishing spots. Im good.
    IMAG0055.jpgIMAG0056.jpgIMAG0057.jpg
    Until next time. Aloha.

Array
    Status
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    anyone know where i can manual lockers? My auto lockers are crapping out. I can hear the popping of my driver side hub while it locks and unlocks. Was playing in the mud and could see my front wheel spin after locked up. Than a pop and no spin. Back and forth a lil bit another pop and back in gear.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the forum. The auto hubs may be salvageable - take them apart and cleanout and repack them, they may be good. Or look on eBay - they are the same as the Monteros so you can get them under either listing. There are also suspension bushings made in Siberia for the 4wds that are all but indestructible: http://adventuredrivendesign.com/oca...berian+Bushing . We love pics - do a build thread to show your progress!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The Weber carb makes more vacuum than the factory Mikuni and as a consequence tries to pull more advance out of the ignition. The carb leaking air isn't going to help either with how the truck is running (I would've put a kit through it personally). It does need a base gasket under the carb to act as an insulator (the carb can do weird things without it + the carb itself can warp a little and this can affect how it seats on the intake manifold). Seems like you have a handle on it. The 4x4 is a mad contraption, so many guys who get dirty with them appreciate just what kind of terrain they can climb over. Your hubs might only need to pulled apart and cleaned out (I'm not up to speed on the 4x4 stuff)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Man i am loving my truck and this site. Mahalo for the info guys. Im gonna see what a clean/repack does for my lockers.

Array
    Status
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    another question. Where on the site can i find info on interchangeable parts between the model/make of monteros and mighty max for my ram50? That site you directed me to pennyman is great btw.