Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

14" air cleaner on Weber DGV

Not a fan of the cotton gauze filters, they just don't do as good a job keeping dust out of the engine. If you want more air, more surface area and a paper filter is better for longevity in my opinion. I had a 14x3" edelbrock kicking around that I adapted to bolt to the top cover of the Weber. Little bit of crude hot-rodding, but it works. A 10x2" probably would have been better. I want to shroud the element with a snorkel that runs to the cowl for cool air. some day.
    The steel that edelbrock used was full of contamination. I Oxy-Acetylene welded everything, and the edelbrock steel burned like a sparkler. Was tough not to blow through.
    Not pictured is the bar I pop riveted across the inside of the filter housing. This gave me something to put a stud in for holding down the top cover.
    I set the Weber filter on top in the last pic for a size reference to the amount of filter media area.
    Giovanni
    1.jpg5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg10.jpg

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    Finished product looks Nice ! No hood clearance issues ???

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks
    The stud in the center was hitting under acceleration. I trimmed it flush with the wingnut and it was fine. I have new motor mounts that I was planning on putting in when I rebuild the front end. Hopefully that doesn't lift the engine up to much. I've got another half inch or so downward before i'm on the valve cover. I may redo this with a snorkel box setup that also bolts to the valve cover for a little more support. Feed it from the cowl area and wrap it in a foil insulation.
    Giovanni

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Or you could have used this adaptor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Ada...53.m1438.l2649
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Or you could have used this adaptor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Ada...53.m1438.l2649
    Well that looks a lot easier! I think I'm going to order one of those, and a 10" filter housing. I'm going to use the 10" and 14" to make a sealed box and then route it to cold air.
    Thanks for the link Pennyman!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No problem - there is also an adaptor to convert the DFV carb to use the stock air cleaner that can be adapted to use the bigger air cleaner
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Whatever steel Edelbrock used is stiff but brittle. The area around where I riveted the cross bar fatigued and cracked in less than a week. Looks like I'm on to the adapter.
    BROKEN.jpg

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    first 3236 weber conversion was to a 1.8L(3TC) old corolla. Hacked up the stock air cleaner to muffle induction noise
    Later I trimmed around the oem filter element, and wound up with a 10 inch version of this edelbrock shown
    Nothing was wrong with the stock carb. Eventually tweaked em, to where it pulled harder than the weber

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Here is another option - smaller diameter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBER-32-36...53.m1438.l2649
    Pennyman1