Thread: Removing front parking brake cable?

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Removing front parking brake cable?

Whats the trick? I have everything under the truck and in the cab either removed or disconnected except for the end of the cable that attaches to the pull handle. I presume that the flat tab that pushes on the brake switch needs to be removed so that the inner rod will rotate far enough allowing the cable barrel to be slid out of the rod. That tab is in there very tight and I would rather not break it off by accident. Am I missing something? As far as I can see there really isn't any other way to remove the cable...

Thanks.
    Mike.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Snap ring maybe?
    http://imgur.com/tpntBKh
    Very little in my manual

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Snap ring maybe?
    http://imgur.com/tpntBKh
    Very little in my manual
    Same problem I am having. the pictures I have seen aren't very helpful and from the looks of it the manual only tells you how to remove the rear 2 cables going to the drums not the front one that runs into the cab.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Figured it out..... I will get back on tomorrow when I am not so aggravated at Microsoft and explain what I did. But I got it.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So. Basically what needs to happen is the parking brake lever needs to be pushed in farther to allow the the end of the rod move toward the firewall past the bracket that bolts it to the floor. To do that you need to unbolt and remove the parking brake switch. Then remove the pulley. Once that is out of the way you can push up on the ratchet tab just behind the handle and push it in. once the handle is in you can reach up with needle nose pliers and pull down on the cable to pull the barrel out of the rod.

It made things much easier to see what all needed to be done to remove the assembly but it is not necessary. Also doing this during the day so you are not doing this with a flashlight in one hand makes a difference. lol.