Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

1990 grille questions

So I've been looking for a replacement grille for my 1990. I like the grill that's in there and had a really hard time finding the same one I finally found one on eBay but it's has a black primer finish. I found a thread on here from 2012 that mentioned black/chrome grills that could be wiped down with acetone to expose a chrome finish underneath. The thread mentioned that the grille was ordered off of eBay but like I said, I can only find the all black grill. Does anyone know if these grills also have a chrome finish hidden under the primer or have any leads on the elusive black/chrome versions?

Here a picture of the black one I found and a picture of the chrome/black one that I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20180407-203246.jpg

Screenshot_20180407-212023.jpg

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The picture of the black grill is actually the back of the grill and it looks to me like there's so gray peeking out from behind the primer on the bottom left side, just underneath the headlight cut out which makes me optimistic

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It would be weird that they'd paint a chromed grille. It is an expensive process getting plastic chromed.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's what I thought, it was also mentioned in the thread how odd it was to put primer over the chrome. It just doesnt make any sense. Like I said, in the top picture it looks like there's a grayish color that didn't fully get covered by the primer so I'm hoping to find chrome underneath if I order it. I think I'm going to, the grill on my truck isn't chrome it's painted a sort of "alloyish gray" which I would honestly be ok with so it couldn't hurt to hope for chrome and then paint it gray if not. Also, the grill I have has chrome underneath the gray paint or primer. In some spots you can even see traces of black that looks like it's between the gray paint and the chrome underneath so I'm wondering if someone ordered the black grill not knowing about the chrome underneath and decided to paint it gray.... oooh the speculation haha.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm also wanting to go with a 93 or newer number and a hell of a time finding one of those too. Am I better off just saving myself the headache and going with a Toyota bumper and maybe a set of universal mounting brackets?

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Bumper* not "number"

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    to use a Toyota bumper you need new bumper brackets fabbed to make it fit. They use to be available online, but now its a make your own kind of deal.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Try car- part.com

Array