Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

1983 4D55! My first diesel.

My first vehicle was a 1988 Ram 50 with the 2.0. 2WD. Dropped. Fun as hell. Weber 32/36 stock otherwise. Fast forward four years. I picked up a mighty max with the 4d55t for 1800 bucks with 111k original miles. I've been surfing the diesel forums for things like parts, pricing. Performance. ETC. It has a 83 injector pump bored. I want to say a 3 inch turbo back? On 32s. Otherwise a stock truck. My goal with this pick up is to make it as reliable as can be. Seven fuel efficiency with a little more get up and go. I'm going to continue to read on these forums. Thought I would introduce myself and the truck. I'm glad to be back in one for a soon to be daily. As far as oil goes. 6.1 liters for a filter and fluid change seems to be the correct amount. Unsure about the weight though. . . I plan on dropping a new radiator in it with in the next day or so. That's the only thing that hasn't been replaced cooling system wise. i would like to throw an intercooler on it sooner rather than later. What's suggested? EBay? Piece together? I'm trying to keep heat away from this motor. I want it to last at least a little. Been reading on different ways to drop compression as well. Seems that an over bore is my best bet. The body is in primer black or rattle can. And needs attention. I'm just unsure on a color. I'm leaning towards WA140X (gm pearl white) to bring it closer to my generation. But I am definitely open to anything. Bottom line goals. Reliable, decent power, clean body, and a ton of fun!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Decent oil cooler and crank out the fuel screw a couple turns should keep it cool

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Sounds like a fun project! Glad to see a motivated diesel owner joining the forums. Got any pics?? I'm really curious to see the fit of the 32's.

The 83's are good because they had an injection pump that could be modified (apparently your's has been already). Only downside is that the injectors are unique to 83' and real difficult to find (ask me how I know...).

I'm running an all aluminum radiator that is meant for the 2.0 liter gas engines. It's been keeping everything at very nice consistent temperatures. I'm running a front mount starion intercooler. With the little turbo there's a fair amount of lag, but it still boosts just fine.

I recommend an EGT gauge pretty early on, especially if you're planning to have fun with it. I turned my fuel screw up a little and popped the head gasket the next day... I love these engines and will continue to recommend them, just ease into the mods and keep an eye on temps.

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    A EGT gauge is one of the first things on the list! Appreciate the insight! I read on one of the posts about the starion IC just was unsure about price and availability. Also thank you for answering the question about radiators! It has a what is claimed to be a "JDM" head on it with newer injectors. Looks new. Unsure about quality or manufacturer though. A worry for me. But if SHTF. We rebuild and try again! I'm no stranger to heat issues. I also own a mk3 VR6 and before the rebuild she threw fits about over pressure and heating at least once a week. Pulled the head, head gasket was rotted mildly at some of the coolant passages. Lol. Gotta love it. What about your charge piping for the intercooler? Diameter specs? Stock from the Starion? I'm no stranger to diesel motors. I am a stranger to indirect injection diesels though. Everything I've ever worked on has been common rail injection.

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I will post a picture when I log into my laptop. I've been on the go for a few days.