Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Dry starts

OK so my 89 2.6 recently developed a dry starting issue (sounds like no oil). It sounds like the valvetrain is dry and rattles like a diesel for about 2 seconds after startup, then instantly goes away. It started this literally the first cold start after changing the oil. It has never done it before then, even after sitting for 2 months, it didnt dry start. The truck runs smooth and only has 119k original miles and has been maintained like it should for the most part (My grandpa bought it new.) I just did a full "100k mile tune up" and slapped a weber 32/36 on it this winter and it runs great and runs quiet.

The oil I put in it was full synthetic mobil 1 10w30. I replaced the filter with an stp filter, which is the same part number as the one that came off of it before (thats all they had at the time, I know. lol) The oil that was in it was valvoline 10w30 dino oil. Why all of the sudden the continuous dry starts immediately after an oil change? Now that there is 600-700 miles on the oil, It does it less, but still 75-80% of cold starts. It never does it on a hot start.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I may be wrong but i think i read somewhere that the 2.6 takes 10w40 but im not sure i havent changed the oil in mine yet. Im not saying that would cause your dry starts though.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    when i changed my oil here just a few weeks ago here is the advise i got and it worked out great;
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    10w30 - high mileage. You can also use 1 quart of Rislone in place of one quart of oil to gently clean out the motor and help make the oil work better.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Did you change the brand of oil filter you were using? Maybe it's back draining
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Same exact part number geezer. I thought the same until I looked at the old one. The only changed variable is the brand, and went from conventional, to synthetic oil. Same weight. It is doing it less and less the dirtier it gets. Kind of strange. I just read about your diesel engine flush method. I think im going to try that and see if it has any effect. This thing has NEVER been run hard its entire life. It probably has a ton of built up carbon from never being opened up for 100k miles. My grandpa bought it new and he had a foot full of helium.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Not every oil filter is constructed the same. There are some really shiteful filters on the market and guys who know their stuff will steer clear away from the lemons.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah, it's an stp as that is all they had. Next time I'll have to order a wix or mobil 1. I cringed at using an stp.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Looked at a teardown of filters on youtube. Wix seems pretty good. And Fram is in the 'other' category...STP has better construction but a lot of people aren't happy with them either. If you really get into where the filters come from and who owns what license to make them, it gets interesting.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I've watched a lot of them too. Fram has an excellent marketing department, and your average joe doesnt know any better. If everyone was educated on filters, Fram would go out of business. I didnt want the stp, but It needed an oil change, and I figured a couple thousand miles wont hurt. They do have anti drainback valves, however I guess it is possible that the one in my filter is faulty. Today it didnt give me a dry start.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrewer2005 View Post
    ...I didnt want the stp, but It needed an oil change, and I figured a couple thousand miles wont hurt. They do have anti drainback valves, however I guess it is possible that the one in my filter is faulty. Today it didnt give me a dry start.
    Well that is promising. Hopefully it's not something more sinister going on with oil supply and recirculation. A guy can can become obsessive about this stuff very quickly and the online 'experts' all have conflicting points of view.
    *OOC, next time you wander into a auto shop, take a couple of filters that have the same/similar diameter box and check which ones have an M20x1.5 thread and a seal about 66-68mm across. There might be a larger capacity filter available for the same price or maybe cheaper. I found a good upgrade for my J2 Hyundai 2.0 doing this.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Well that is promising. Hopefully it's not something more sinister going on with oil supply and recirculation. A guy can can become obsessive about this stuff very quickly and the online 'experts' all have conflicting points of view.
    *OOC, next time you wander into a auto shop, take a couple of filters that have the same/similar diameter box and check which ones have an M20x1.5 thread and a seal about 66-68mm across. There might be a larger capacity filter available for the same price or maybe cheaper. I found a good upgrade for my J2 Hyundai 2.0 doing this.
    I just posted a thread on oversize oil filter for these engines. My last post is still waiting for moderator approval, but a filter for an 84 ram50 turbodiesel is the same gasket and threads, but over an inch longer.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    I just posted a thread on oversize oil filter for these engines. My last post is still waiting for moderator approval, but a filter for an 84 ram50 turbodiesel is the same gasket and threads, but over an inch longer.
    A good find - more oil capacity, bigger filter area...win!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are several different filters that fit the 2.6, with different size cases. I will post the different numbers once I get home and look them up.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Little update on the truck. I did another oil change. The oil had roughly 1000 miles on it and was already getting pretty dirty. I took this opportunity to do the diesel engine flush on it. I used a bosch oil filter on it this time. The dry starts are less frequent, and less noisy. It didnt quiet the engine down much but the throttle response has a very noticeable improvement. The oil has about 300 miles on it and is still as clean as new.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I forgot to add, The mpg seems to have went up a little as well.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This is a great thread and thanks for all the comparison work that has been done. FYI, WIX is headquartered in the town I live and they have been purchased by the foreign company Mann. They still have the WIX name on the plants + HQ. I know some folks that have worked there. WIX has done private label for a number of other companies. They seem like a quality filter.