Thread: 1987 Ram 50 barely failed SMOG help!

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1987 Ram 50 barely failed SMOG help!

Just bought a 1987 Ram 50 last weekend and took it to get smogged on Thursday. The truck passed everything except for the comprehensive visual inspection. My air pipe assembly had a tiny little hole in it and I need to replace it in order to pass the test. https://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../MD112115.html
    This is the part they told me I needed and I have already placed an order on this site because I have not been able to find it anywhere else online. My question is do I have any other options in trying to get the correct part or do I continue with my order from this site and hope that it is a fit when it arrives? I am new to these trucks and fairly new to general maintenance overall but considering this car is my only source of transportation at the moment I am trying to get it up to code as quickly as possible. I love the truck so far and got an awesome deal on it. It has low mileage and everything else is running and in good shape. This tiny hole on that pipe is the only thing keeping me from getting my registration stickers here in California. Thanks in advance for any help, it is very much appreciated.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you could always move to Arkansas no smog checks here

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    lol theres no surf in arkansas. I am having a hard time finding the pipe anywhere online though. Are there any other years or models I can look at that would fit that specific part? Like I said above, I am fairly new to all of this and don't have a lot of cash at the moment but got the car at a good deal and would like to be able to drive it so I can continue to save up some money and eventually start adding/upgrading the truck. thanks for the response anyways!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Any chance it can be repaired? A small patch of epoxy or even a braise weld will fill the hole. This is really stupid that it would fail a visual check but pass smog. Could you paint it? Other option is find a gasfitter/plumber and get them to make one for you out of copper pipe. It can't be any worse than paying $93 for a new one (if they even still exist...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi, juslivn15, and welcome to the forum.

000015JX.jpg

One of our members, Noahwins, got this very part from me a couple of years back (off my parts truck), so I know what it is. I agree with Geezer, that it can be repaired, and very easily. They will be impossible to find in the junkyard (in any use-able condition) and $93 for a new one is just ridiculous.

Tell ya what - if you can, take a photo of it and post it on the forum - you'll get several good suggestions for the repair. (I'm even thinking Bondo and then aluminum paint).
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    ...and while you've got your camera out, give a few shots of your truck ! We love to see these trucks, in all conditions. It's just what we are.

Yeah ! A buncha VOYEURS !!!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    yes! thats it and it has been impossible to find anywhere haha. thank you so much for the help! I will get pictures of the area and the truck up on here within the next couple of hours. I cancelled my order on the site I gave above since what you guys are saying seems way easier and less hassle than what I had originally thought. Should i post the pictures in this thread or should I start a new one in the general maintenance area? Thanks again for helping a newb out!
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Hi, juslivn15, and welcome to the forum.

000015JX.jpg

One of our members, Noahwins, got this very part from me a couple of years back (off my parts truck), so I know what it is. I agree with Geezer, that it can be repaired, and very easily. They will be impossible to find in the junkyard (in any use-able condition) and $93 for a new one is just ridiculous.

Tell ya what - if you can, take a photo of it and post it on the forum - you'll get several good suggestions for the repair. (I'm even thinking Bondo and then aluminum paint).

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yes! that's definitely it! thank you so much for the information. I am glad to hear that it can easily be repaired and I will have pictures posted in a couple of hours. Should I post the pictures here? or start a new thread in the general maintenance? thanks again for helping a newb out, it is very much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It is stainless,so welding it is an option. I have an 89 parts truck that is a 2.6, but I don't know the condition of the pipe.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Should I post the pictures here? or start a new thread in the general maintenance?
    My suggestion would be to post pictures of the pipe here, but to start a new thread just for your truck, and the new thread can be where you post the progression of improving it. I'm assuming yours' is a second generation, and that might be where you want to start a "build thread".

We're all happy to help, because we were once newbs, too, and know what it's like.

Now you need to learn the secret hand-shake.

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    have you tried jb weild sanding it smooth and painting the pipe????? fortunatly i live in sw arizona and dont have such restrictions if that idea dont set well with you ,, i just figured it was visual .. let me check i may still have the one that came off when i installed my header im hoping the shop that was working on it didnt toss it mines an 87 too

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    hey guys, sorry it took me a while but here are the pictures. As you can see this hole is tiny and is smaller than my pinky finger nail. I also posted a picture of my smog test and like I said earlier the truck passed all of the important stuff, except for the stupid visual inspection. I am definitely all ears with ideas as I just want to try and get this truck to pass sometime this week. Again, I really appreciate everyone's help and I look forward to becoming more active in this awesome community you guys have going here. Hope everyone is having a good Easter Sunday! Thanks! 20180331_161539.jpg20180331_165150.jpg

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    my girlfriend and I were thinking of sanding the whole pipe. JB welding it, sanding it again, welding it one more time and then painting over it. My main concern is I don't want to do all of that if it isn't going to pass smog here in california again. I agree with you in the sense that it is just visual because on my smog test paper the only thing I failed was the stupid visual test. As you can see in my picture the truck passed all of the important stuff. Thanks for the reply!! Hoping to see what some other people on here think I should do but at the moment that sounds like the best/easiest idea to me.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    By the looks of the picture that is not stainless. Seems like the hole is caused by an arc strike. It has also got a crack running away from it. You should drill a small hole at the very end of the crack to stop it going further. Clean it up with emery cloth before doing whatever repair you do. Seems like you could get someone to TIG weld it for $25 or so. If you go that way clean it up first so they don't have to charge you for that.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It looks like someone had covered it with duct tape. There IS an exhaust repair kit, with similar tape (fiberglass), and an epoxy. It won't last long, but it's one option.

I'm in agreement with The Geezemeister that you should sand it down real good before any repair. Until you can detail the engine, it will stick out conspicuously, so make sure your repair is neat. Get some JB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on either end and let it soak, so you can remove the pipe to work with it.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That tape had strings in it. Probably the paper tape with silver on the outside used for insulation. I'm pretty sure the smog folks won't OK anything that is not a permanent repair.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    have you tried jb weild sanding it smooth and painting the pipe????? fortunatly i live in sw arizona and dont have such restrictions if that idea dont set well with you ,, i just figured it was visual .. let me check i may still have the one that came off when i installed my header im hoping the shop that was working on it didnt toss it mines an 87 too
    Gonna jb weld it today. Gonna sand it weld it and hopefully paint it and let it cure all night tonight and see how it's doing in the morning. Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    It looks like someone had covered it with duct tape. There IS an exhaust repair kit, with similar tape (fiberglass), and an epoxy. It won't last long, but it's one option.

I'm in agreement with The Geezemeister that you should sand it down real good before any repair. Until you can detail the engine, it will stick out conspicuously, so make sure your repair is neat. Get some JB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on either end and let it soak, so you can remove the pipe to work with it.
    I'm gonna clean/sand it today and then jb weld it later so it can cure all night. I don't mind cleaning the engine if it'll help not bring attention to that area. Can I just use a standard degreaser to clean the engine or do I need something in particular? Also, thanks for the tip with the liquid wrench!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If your engine is particularly bad you'll need a pressure cleaner handy but you can't go past using non caustic oven cleaner (you have to make sure it is non caustic or it'll eat paint, rubber and anything alloy it touches). It makes short work of dirty engines and you normally will get away with using one can while other spray degreasers will take a couple and are a lot messier to work with. Spray it on, work it with an old paint brush and hose it off like regular degreaser. Been using it for years and if had known about this trick earlier it could've made my life easier...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by juslivn15 View Post
    Gonna jb weld it today. Gonna sand it weld it and hopefully paint it and let it cure all night tonight and see how it's doing in the morning. Thanks!
    just a quick thought be sure and use paint that has high heat tolerance that way the patch doesn't show threw.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    If I read the post correctly, are you going to weld over the JB weld? if you do weld over the JB, clean the inside of the tube as that JB weld will release a lot of carbon if it doesn't actually catch fire.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    If I read the post correctly, are you going to weld over the JB weld? if you do weld over the JB, clean the inside of the tube as that JB weld will release a lot of carbon if it doesn't actually catch fire.
    No, I was just going to JB weld it and then paint over the repair area. Since it is so small and considering that the truck only failed the visual inspection part of the smog test I was just going to try and have it closed in order to pass smog and then deal with actually taking care of it once I have a little more cash flow.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by juslivn15 View Post
    No, I was just going to JB weld it and then paint over the repair area. Since it is so small and considering that the truck only failed the visual inspection part of the smog test I was just going to try and have it closed in order to pass smog and then deal with actually taking care of it once I have a little more cash flow.
    OK then as long as the paint is effective at hiding it you should be fine.