Status
    oregon city, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Upper End Mod 87 2.6l MightyMax

Hello all,

I've had my Mighty Max for going on a month now and I want to build it up a bit. Better performance means more power, but more importantly it means better fuel economy. So here is my question:

I would love to put an aftermarket intake manifold and a four barrel carb. Is there an intake out there that will bolt on? If not, is there a head from another vehicle that would be compatible? Can anyone point me to some resources that would help? I'm more than willing to do the work, just need to know when to start.

For now, I've already replaced the head gasket. Have a weber carb on it now that probably needs rebuilt. I paid a thousand bucks for it and the engine was rebuilt 50k miles ago. seems a shame to get rid of a perfectly good motor.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Array
    Status
    oregon city, OR
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There are no "bolt on" 4 bbl manifolds for the 2.6 - I have seen people mod the manifold to put one on. Your best option is to step up the 32/36 weber you have now to a 38 DGES carb, then get a cam from either Oregon cam grinders or top end performance. Finish the motor off with a header from DG headers on the forum, and a high flow converter and a custom 2 1/4 inch exhaust system. That will wake the truck up immensely.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^add some port work and port match the intake manifold to the head to that list. The main thing that holds back the 2.6 is gas flow (other than the asthmatic Mikuni carb...) Duration in the cam is the key to improving performance (a number of online forums advise that a high lift cam in one of these engines will actually kill performance) If your engine is using a jet valve head, either use a delete kit or get an all mechanical non jet valve head. Delete the EGR system off the engine as this just kills performance all round and normally is coked up anyway and not working 100% (seal the EGR port in the head and then you can remove the EGR valve with a block off plate). Eliminate the clutch fan from the water pump pulley and install an electric thermo fan. It removes a load from the crank, improving throttle response and works when the engine needs it most (+ frees up engine bay room, prolongs the life of the water pump bearings, potentially improve MPG - too many bonuses not to do this anyway).
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    +2 on duration - these motors respond to cam duration, not max lift. Port work includes gasket matching the head and intake, and smoothing out the egr hump in the head intake ports. Don't polish the intake runners too smooth - really smooth runners can cause the fuel to drop out of the air charge. These motors were originally fork lift industrial motors, so high performance was not in the original design, like a lot of truck motors from every manufacturer.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Mexico
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is this the carb you guys are talking about? Weber Redline W0133-1806356-WEB Carburetor Kit 38 DGES Outlaw - Electric Choke https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449S2R6..._jrFZCbMCJHASB[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes but look around - you can get the exact same kit for less on ebay. Be sure it is redline weber - too many Chinese knockoffs out there...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Mexico
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    What kind of power are we looking at after that little laundry list of mods? Just curious if anyone knows

Array
    Status
    New Mexico
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I already have headers which are possibly John Baker, if not they may be edlebrock

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    with a cam header, 38dges and a free flow exhaust, you should get 150+ horse - stock is 105-108 at the flywheel.
    Pennyman1