Thread: Instealling late mod MM "Sport" gauges in 87 D50?

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Instealling late mod MM "Sport" gauges in 87 D50?

Just a quick question. I am installing "sport" gauges from a 94-95 I think into my 87 D50. The truck I pulled the gauges from did not have the noise filter on the motor, looks like some jackass cut it off and I have not been able to find a new factory one online. Has anyone had any experience with running a noise filter from another Mitsu or even an aftermarket one in their trucks on the factory tach? I have found a couple of aftermarket ones available (for example from Summit) but reviews online dont look promising, and I might still have one spare one running around from my eclipse I can use.

Thanks.
    Mike.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    just a heads up the gauges themselves may be different in terms of being able to plug a 94-95 gauge into an 87' harness since the amount engine/idiot lights increased/changed throughout the years. for instance in 88 they added a lock light for the 4x4 indicator for a total of 2 4x4 lights and in 1990 they added and reassigned some lights to accommodate the new 2.4 and 3.0 engines. as far as that noise filter i know that my 86' Conquest uses the same noise filter which is just a little metal can with a resistor and a capacitor inside. im sure someone else will know more about a cluster swap than i do though.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The harness connections to the carburetor and FI models are different. The 87-89 clusters have three connectors, the 90-91 have only two. If the 91 configuration applies to subsequent years, some rewiring of the '87 will be needed. You definitely want a cluster out of a 4x4 if you want those lights to work. Here's the cluster schematic for '88 and '91 model years:

Correction: The statement and schematic that the FI versions have only two connectors are incorrect. There are three three connectors to 90+ years, each with the same number of potential wires appearing in the '88 schematic. The '91 schematic is wrong. For the correct schematic see my post of 02-01-2019 below.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by FMS88; 02-01-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Correction of post content

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I already have the gauges installed. everything went in pretty well with minimal modification. I had to cut the hole out and clean off the contact pads for the light bulb to go in for the 4WD light and I had to move 1 wire over for the oil pressure gauge to work which I am still not sure the gauge is working correctly, it does some weird things at times... I suspect a bad sending unit.

BTW just to clarify this is an 87 ram 4WD truck with the engine, ECU, and engine harness from a late mod (94 IIRC) 2WD. If memory serves I am about 90% sure the gauges are a mix of 87 and 94. I separated the 87 Chassis side of the truck harness from the carb controls and then did the same for the engine side. I then wrapped them separate so there are only a couple of wires connecting the two harnesses under the dash. stuff to run the gauges, Power/ground and the like. The truck I pulled the engine/harness from didn't have a tach so the wiring for it is not there.

Both my eclipse and talon both have a noise filter on them also but they are wired differently, they both have a single wire connection and the wiring on the MM/D50 have a 2 wire connection. So I dont know what the difference is in how the tach works.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    BTW... FMS where did you pull those wiring diagrams from? I use alldata when I pull up any year MM or D50 from 87 to 95 the diagrams all show the same 3 connectors for the dash...

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec96 View Post
    BTW... FMS where did you pull those wiring diagrams from? I use alldata when I pull up any year MM or D50 from 87 to 95 the diagrams all show the same 3 connectors for the dash...
    You are correct. There are three connectors for the 90+ cluster. Both diagrams in the earlier post are from Chrysler shop manuals and the '91 schematic omits the third connector (#B05). The Alldata diagram is correct, and LSR Mike added the correct diagram to his thread in the manuals section. See: http://mmeierle.com/MeterCircuit-1.jpeg

The number of possible wires in the three connectors are same for the two years. So the 87's connectors will plug into 90+ clusters. The only question is are the 87 wire positions the same in the 90+ years? That I can't answer since I don't have such a cluster.

Thanks for questioning the diagram. I'll edit and correct the post above.
    Last edited by FMS88; 02-01-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well I can tell you with certainty that they are interchangeable with minimal modification. I am currently running the 95 Sport gauges in my 87. The only things that aren't working currently are the brake light (which I dont think was working right before the conversion), the charging light (which never worked after the FI 4g64 swap) and the Tachometer. As mentioned above I have only had to move one wire on the 10 pin connector for the oil pressure gauge and cut out the hole/clean the contacts for the added 4WD light. I did forget to mention that I added a wire from the gauge (reed switch) to the ECU for speed input. I am not sure if the ECU really needs that input to function correctly but it is a California ECU so probably.