Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 86 Ram 50 owner, glad to find a forum!

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

New 86 Ram 50 owner, glad to find a forum!

Howdy,
    I picked up a used 86 Ram 50 (2.0, G63B, 5 Speed) a few days ago off of the local Craigslist for $800. The body is very solid, and the guy I bought it from was planning on converting it into some low rider monstrosity, so hopefully I saved a good truck from a fate worse than death.
    He had already added his version of a custom exhaust, a straight pipe, badly welded, running from the curve in the manifold downpipe under both axles to a 'flowmaster' muffler with a 4 inch intake (and more bad welds) that was hanging about 3 inches off the ground next to the spare tire. A sawzall quickly removed the exhaust on day 2 and I stuck on a cheapo muffler on day 3, which made the truck quiet enough to hear the loud tapping coming from the engine.
    So today I pull the valve cover and find the #4 (furthest back) intake rocker has the nub that pushes on the lifter snapped off. No sign of the broken pieces, so I'm hoping the seller knew about the problem and removed them and they are not floating around the engine somewhere. His CL ad said he installed a new valve cover gasket, so there is hope he saw the broken rocker and then decided to call it quits on his project.
    I've ordered a new rocker arm, should be at Oriely's on Tuesday, so now I've got a few days to learn how to replace the broken rocker arm. Seems pretty straight forward, and it being the furthest back gives me hope of an easy job, but we'll see.
    Well, that's why I'm here and how I stumbled on this forum. I'll be digging thru the threads looking for hints on the job and if you have any advice, please share.

Thanks for being here,
    eb

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OMFG! You have PDFs of the FSMs!!!! Awesome! Looking at the right diagrams for the job now, looks like I might be able to just take off the rear cap and slide the broken rocker right off.
    I am so glad I found this site!
    One quick questions tho, how do I tell if I have a Gen 1 or a Gen 2? The Ram50 is an 86, door panel says it was made in January 86. I'm guessing there is a VIN code or something?

Thanks,
    eb

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    OMFG! You have PDFs of the FSMs!!!! Awesome!

Ha ha ha ha ha. Now thats funny.

In the factory manual there is a Vin code thing that will tell you what it should be if it's stock. As for first gen to second gen take a look in the WIKI for history. It will get you in the ball park. We need to put in our own pictures at some point. As for the swap out its just like it looks. Be careful not to over torque the bolts. Aluminum head..... The missing part is in the oil pan. Pull the plug and use a magnet on a stick. It will come out. The screen should stop it from doing any damage.
    Oh and welcome to the board. You now have access to our privet on line radio station. Just look at the top of the page for MMD5 radio. You can schedule up songs and up load music to it as well. Enjoy.
    Last edited by camoit; 11-13-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the welcome, and the tips.
    I'm guessing I'm 2nd gen, but really don't think it matters much for the current task. I have a timing belt instead of a chain (as shown in the manual), and my VIN doesn't match the formula in the book: JB7FP24D9GP123456, but the SOHC assembly looks pretty much the same.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The easy way to tell 1st gen from 2nd gen is the body shape - 1st gen has rounded sides and 4 headlights, 2ns gen is flat sided and 2 headlights. Also, your manufactoring date makes it a 1st gen, as 2nd gen 86's didn't come out until march or April of 86. Welcome to the site - I also have an 86 like yours besides my 1980 avatar truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Pennyman,
    It's got 4 headlights, so guess it is a Gen1.
    Been reading the service manual, been a couple of decades since I had a rig with a carburetor :D

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome to the site, and yes by the looks of your avatar you have a first gen.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The late model first gen had 4 head lights. Not sure what year the change over took place. I want to say around 84 or 85.
    Yep looks like we need to find a late model first gen book. Mine covers the early models.
    Last edited by camoit; 11-13-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Just got back from Oriely's, they ordered me an exhaust rocker instead of an intake one, so will be a few more days til the Ram is back on the road.
    Looks like its not a standard stocked part, so they had to email the supply center to see if they can even find one.
    If anyone knows of a place online to find one at a reasonable price, or maybe has one sitting in their garage that they can part with, let me know.

eb

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Part has been located thru the dealer for $41.70, would have to be shipped from Saluda, SC or Ohio (+$15 or so). Looks like the Ram50 is down til payday + shipping time. No one local can get the part.
    Part # MD072117

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    try rockauto.com for great priced parts.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Dropped,
    Just checked them, they only have the exhaust rocker in stock.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Got the part coming from a member here, $20 shipped, YaY!

eb

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I haven't ordered anything from rockauto.com, because once it is said and done, it would have been cheaper to order it through NAPA. Rockauto has great priced parts, but then they have horrendous shipping costs.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I always order from them, even after shipping most of the stuff I get is still at least $5-10 cheaper, guess it just depends what you're buying and how much parts also.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Got a second front view pic of the sellers rockers, and they now look more like a match, so going thru with the sale.

btw, I really gotta figure out how to edit a post on here....
    eb

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post

btw, I really gotta figure out how to edit a post on here....
    eb
    That is a feature you get when you upgrade and become a donator. You can check it out here. Give it a try, it's worth it. Besides you will find your self on this site all the time. It's like crack to a D50 owner. Just ask my wife... http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ming-a-donator.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The seller sent me a pic of his rocker, but I can't tell for sure if it matches mine or not, I'm leaning towards not.
    Here is the pic of his:

And some pics of what go in my 86 2.0:

Think it's a match?
    eb

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Aha, that explains why I can't find what I usually find on every other vbulletin forum....
    I just sent my last $20 to Virginia for the rocker arm, but will probably chip something in next payday. You've already saved me a chunk of change just by having the resources available here.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Our thought behind it is that the Donators will be a more active member in the community then just the one time guy. Just like crack, it's keep you coming back. We also have a sell to donate area you can use. So if you have an old part or hand grenade you want to sell to donate you are more then welcome to do so. Just read how it works and you will see we have more then one way to support your fellow D50 guy.
    OH one more thing you might have over looked. go to the top of the page and click on the MMD5 Radio. Yep we have a private on line radio station that you can run. You can be the DJ or upload to it. It has one of the widest varieties of music you will find on the net in one place, or so I'm told. Enjoy
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I checked out the radio page, looks pretty cool. I noticed a disturbing lack of Mojo Nixon in there so I uploaded "You Can't Kill Me", not sure if it got indexed or not. I would have uploaded the entire discography, but it seems you can only upload 2 songs at once.
    btw, Mojo is anti-copyright and supports the free passing around of his works (unlike most of the other 15gigs of music I've horded over the years).

eb

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Hell looking at the picture you did not need to swap it out. It's only the air jet valve tab that broke off. There nothing but problems anyway.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Hell looking at the picture you did not need to swap it out. It's only the air jet valve tab that broke off. There nothing but problems anyway.
    Huh????

That's not an intake valve to the right of the rocker?
    Sure feels like it's running on 3 cyl, which would make sense if nothing was getting thru that intake due to the broken off tab.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Or, you have a bad hydraulic valve lash adjuster, or a rod cap is coming off of one of your connecting rods. (like mine did)

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    This is what it should look like, just not as messy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast