Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

2.4L 2nd Gen engine

So I posted on here that my engine started knocking and I did a few things to figure out if I could get it to stop, but nothing worked ! So I took it to two different mechanics and got the same answer. The connecting rods are done. So they told me I was better off getting a new engine. I have been debating on getting a brand new one from autozone or getting a used one. Does anyone have any advise ?

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    That all depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Did AutoZone quote you a price?

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That all depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Did AutoZone quote you a price? And where can I find a pic of your truck. It's hard to see the profile pic on my phone but it looks pretty clean

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you have compression and no blow-by, you might get away with a set of bearings and a linish up (as with all things, you won't know 'til you commit). A golden opportunity to bang on a new water pump, give the head a once over and replace the valve stem seals. You gotta realise, your truck is pulling double decades now and any other engine you dig up will either be the same or worse for wear (unless you get one out of a truck that had a recon'd engine and took a big hit). A runner from a JY will get you out of trouble for a while as long as it's solid but it all comes down to how the $$$ get spent.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've seen some rebuild kits online, some larger than others depending on what all needs to be done. I don't know but maybe that might be something worth looking into?

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLifer1990 View Post
    That all depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Did AutoZone quote you a price? And where can I find a pic of your truck. It's hard to see the profile pic on my phone but it looks pretty clean
    Yeah they told me it would be 2000 plus 300 if I didn't give them the core. That's around the mark I'm trying to stay at nothing more than that. I also have been looking on Craigslist to see if I can get one still running for about 2k so I can swap the engine and use it for parts. Oh hold on I'll try to upload a photo here

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you have compression and no blow-by, you might get away with a set of bearings and a linish up (as with all things, you won't know 'til you commit). A golden opportunity to bang on a new water pump, give the head a once over and replace the valve stem seals. You gotta realise, your truck is pulling double decades now and any other engine you dig up will either be the same or worse for wear (unless you get one out of a truck that had a recon'd engine and took a big hit). A runner from a JY will get you out of trouble for a while as long as it's solid but it all comes down to how the $$$ get spent.
    Yeah I know I'm leaning towards the new engine cause I eventually want to turbo it so I'm better off with a fresh engine I think. I found one on autozone for 2grand I think I'm gonna go with that one

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    I uploaded a few pictures on the album I have on my page if you wanna see more photos of my truck. Thanks !

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's a pretty clean looking little truck, man. I like it. You ever think about swapping it for something with a little more HP? If you've ever had any power plant pipe dreams, now would be the time.. just sayin

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    That's a pretty clean looking little truck, man. I like it. You ever think about swapping it for something with a little more HP? If you've ever had any power plant pipe dreams, now would be the time.. just sayin
    Nah man been there done that. I had a 89 twin turbo 300zx for about two years then I had a 91 Nissan 240sx with turbo and I'm over that already. I just want something simple clean and reliable lol

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    I do wanna turbo the truck though but with the stock engine so I can still pass smog without doing any illegal stuff

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't think that is going to happen. The turbo 'should' actually be cleaner but the oxygen nazis aren't going to buy it (but diesel Golfs are ok, right...?). The turbo needs to run richer so it doesn't bake itself and the stock ECU will have a spasm over manifold pressures etc. This stupid issue has been debated for all eternity on the site with anybody asking about modding their trucks and living in the brown state lucking out. There are easier ways to turbo a Mitsu truck too but not in your state
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Don't think that is going to happen. The turbo 'should' actually be cleaner but the oxygen nazis aren't going to buy it (but diesel Golfs are ok, right...?). The turbo needs to run richer so it doesn't bake itself and the stock ECU will have a spasm over manifold pressures etc. This stupid issue has been debated for all eternity on the site with anybody asking about modding their trucks and living in the brown state lucking out. There are easier ways to turbo a Mitsu truck too but not in your state
    Aw man what a bummer to hear that lol. Ah well I can deal with it lol