Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poppin the hood and divin in! (1990 build)

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You showed us yours...
    Attached Images
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Very nice. I gonna try out a few different paints but I'll likely just go with grey. Do I need to use a high temp spray for the valve cover?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Not necessarily, but an engine enamel will handle getting filthy without discolouring. I used that lacquer just to try it out (polishing is o.k. but I was a bit over the look + you have to keep repolishing it as it goes dull after a while). Ripple finish black looks good and hides all the irregularities in the cast alloy.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Not necessarily, but an engine enamel will handle getting filthy without discolouring. All comes down to the prep. I used that lacquer just to try it out (polishing is o.k. but I was a bit over the look + you have to keep repolishing it as it goes dull after a while). Ripple finish black looks good and hides all the irregularities in the cast alloy.

CAN A MOD OR ADMIN PLEASE DELETE THIS POST? i GOT NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED LOLOLOL
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I was thinking black would look pretty good too. I was wanting to stay away from black and lean more towards the grey colors because it's easy to see any leaks but at the same time it's hard to keep looking clean

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I did a ripple finish valve cover but I left the lip all around the gasket seating edge polished. It did look trick and you could see if it sprung a leak somewhere as the polished metal would get dirty.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Something to aim for...

engine assy complete dr 1.jpg

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That looks real nice, Mike, nice work! I don't know that I'll be digging that far into. I'd like to at some point but I just don't have the budget for everything I'd like to do. One of these days haha.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Should I have play here? It's very minimal but it's there, all the others are very stiff in comparison. If not, how do i make the adjustment? Could this be the source of the ticking noise?......

20180324_134640.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They can't be adjusted as they rely on oil pressure to lift the valves. It might be gummed up or has simply gone bad. I didn't see if you had gone through with an engine flush so it might be worth a shot. Alternatively take the rocker assembly off and soak the HLA's in diesel, squeeze them in your fingers to get them decompressing all the way and then prime them in clean engine oil.
    (well that sounds like a 5 minute job )

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Alright, I'm almost done putting this girl back together and I've hit a little obstacle here. And yes, I know, I should have taken pictures, marked hoses and fixtures, labeled everything etc etc. I thought this was only gonna take a day or 2 so I didn't bother too much but then I got busy with other stuff and 2 weeks later here we are and it's biting me in the ass. Shame on me, i know. Anyhow, I had to disconnect a hose when I was taking the intake manifold off and now I can't find where to reconnect it to save my life! So there's a coolant hose that runs from the back side of the engine up into the firewall. That hose has a smaller diameter hose that runs off of it, this is the hose in question. This is the hose I cannot find the fixture for. This is the hose that's causing my blood pressure to sky rocket. This is....well, you get the picture. Any help is appreciated....and will likely save me a heart attack. If a picture would help, let me know and I'll do my best but it's pretty tight quarters in there. Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ok, luckily I found a picture of what I'm talking about. If you look in between the two bolts that the intake manifold manifold mounts to, you can see the hose in question. It's the one running off of the hard line, it makes contact with the disconnected hose that you can see just above the starter in the picture and then goes upwarards and is tucked up behi d the wiring. I disconnected so that I could get better access to a bolt during disassembly and now I can't remember where it goes, it's driving me mad!

Screenshot_20180324-212647.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's a heater hose - it's more than likely hanging off a connection on the butt end of the intake manifold (thus the reason why you can't figure out where it lives)

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So there's a hose that comes off of the bottom of the radiator and then to a hardline that wraps around the the back of the engine, from there is a rubber hose that goes into the firewall and through the heater core, then a hose runs back out of the firewall, connects to the intake manifold, coolant goes into the engine, back out, through the thermostat and back into the radiator. This hose runs off of the hard line, literally a couple of inches before the hose that goes into the firewall

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ...i hope you followed all of that lol.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I keep forgetting about the manual I downloaded. I'll see what I can find in there

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Royster, heres the pic i was describing to you.20180325_002742.jpg

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    That hose goes into the throttle body, for want of a better description. I have attempted to draw the location, let me know if this works for you.

100_0329_LI.jpg

100_0332_LI.jpg

It goes in just under the intake. It's been a few years since I did this work, so I can't offer any more details. I'd have to take off the large air intake hose to show you (that should be a clue) and it may be why you're having difficulty finding the connecting point...it's under that intake hose.

BELOW: Here's the best close-up I was able to get.

100_0331_LI.jpg
    Last edited by royster; 03-25-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's the one! Thanks, Roy. It's just shy of 9:30am here and and I'm just getting ready to roll out of bed (don't judge me, it's sunday) and button the ol girl back up. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks all.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well.... she won't start and I have NO idea why. I didn't remove the injectors before using oven cleaner to clean the intake manifold. Did I maybe screw the injectors up with the oven cleaner? Even if I did, wouldn't it still fore up and just run poorly? I'm stumped!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    More than likely something isn't connected.Not necessarily that you haven't plugged something back in, more that you either have a bad connection or a wire or 2 has broken. This is common with DSM stuff - the wiring would end up with intermittent breaks from age and they'd cause all kinds of electrical glitches.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    What's the no start?
    Turning over normal speed?
    Tried some engine start down the intake?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast