Array
    Status
    Louisville,Ky
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63

Valve adjustment?

Hey guy's , Do the valves ever need adjusting on these trucks? I have an 86 2.0 that has a ticking sound and a little bit of a rattle right at the point of clutch bite when taking off from a stop. The motor has 78,000 miles and has never been apart. The noise isn't very loud but is noticeable to me so I want to stay ahead of whatever it is. If valves need adjusting can you let me know the specs. Thanks.....Ben

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    We can tell you the clearances...but it won't fix it. This is one of the occasions where you can take the workshop manual and use it to prop up your kitchen table. For the closest you'll get to getting the valvetrain to operate quietly, you'll need to get the engine up to running temp (hot) and adjust the rockers by feel. You'll need a flat blade screwdriver and a 12mm ring spanner. Take the rockers that are off lobe (valves closed), loosen the retaining nuts and wind the adjusters in until you can barely feel them rock (hold them and try moving the lifters up and down), then lock the retaining nut up and check again (they have a tendency to tighten up further causing them to load up the rockers on the valves). Rotate the engine so the next round of rockers are off lobe and repeat. This takes practice and more than likely a couple of tries until you get it running quiet(er). Always expect a little valvetrain chatter but you should be able to get it better than tolerable. You will see a lot of people who have used the factory clearances will complain that the valvetrain is still noisy and will attempt to set the clearances a number of times before quitting in frustration.

p.s. it won't matter what method you employ to adjust the rockers if the rockers and rails are worn out as there will be constant movement in the rocker geometry.
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-12-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Array
    Status
    Louisville,Ky
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Alright thanks, looks like I have a weekend project!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    before you go off trying to adjust the rockers -your motor should have hydraulic lash adjusters. If it does, then you need to run either a quart of Rislone in place of 1 quart of motor oil, or Seafoam with the oil, to free up the lifters. Also check the timing - these motors can ping with a sound like ticking and rattle if the timing is too advanced, or the motor is carboned up real bad.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm, so HLA's were introduced during the D-50 period? I thought it was during the Gen 2/MM run before the 2.4 came into production.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The Haynes Manual spec's out Intake Valves at .006 and Exhaust Valves at .010 IF they have them. That is at temp. Cold assembly tolerances are Intake .004 and Exhaust at .007.