Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

one tooth off???

Hey all,
    So I changed out the timing belt on my '87 2.0 and im thinking its not quite right.
    I'll describe some symptoms that I've noticed since I did the job:
    -upon first start it made a clattering sound which decreased the second time i started it.
    - running a bit rough/some vibration at idle
    - some light clatter at all times
    - slight pause and surge when accelerating
    - starts up when cold, but starts weakly when warm

I dont need to drive it much but have to drive it occasionally. Am i doing a lot of damage by driving it?
    Supposed to drive about two hundred miles next week. Feeling very anxious about that...
    So, any thoughts on this?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you haven't replaced the small balance shaft belt, this is a good and bad thing - good that you don't have to check it is set correctly, bad as if the belt blows they normally get caught up in the main timing belt and wreak havoc. These engines aren't interference engines so the chance of valvetrain damage is minimal if you're only out a tooth. To double check your timing belt - set the crank to TDC on #1 cylinder and see where the timing dimple is on the cam sprocket. There is a lump/ridge cast into the left face of the head just below where the rocker cover seal sits - if the mark on the cam sprocket isn't lined up to there you'll need to take the belt off and reset the cam sprocket. The second check you need to do is the oil pump balance shaft. There's a 14mm bolt on the side of the block in the mid section of the balance shaft journal (under the intake manifold side). With it still sitting @ TDC #1, remove that bolt and try passing a screwdriver through it. If it hits the shaft, the balance shaft timing is out (it should pass though the bolt hole without hitting the counter balance weight) This won't 'wreck' your engine straight away but it won't do it any favours either. Rumours are it can cause premature bearing failure due to changes in loading/vibration but I can't 100% confirm that. It will over govern your engine and cause vibrations and loss of power.

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks geezer! Thats a lot of information in one paragraph.
    I did replace the balance shaft belt at the same time as the timing belt. So at least we know that it wont shred into the other workings.
    my guess is that, as a novice at this, I didnt line all the markers up exactly (although they looked good to both me and my friend), or perhaps the alignment shifted slightly when applying pressure to the tensioner. Is that a possible?
    i will check those points you mentioned as soon as is possible. in the meantime, is it safe to drive without to much anxiety?
    thanks again.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The marks can be pulled out by the tensioners taking up slack. Like I posted earlier, it won't kill your engine but it's not ideal to leave it either. Go back and check everything is right (you are lucky this is a belt drive and not chain driven - soooo much easier to work on). Good luck!

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas,NV
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey I was curious if anyone had info on timing the g54b balance shafts and silent chain? My chains have no marked links at all. Im completely lost and stuck.