Status
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Strada
    Engine

4D56-T

4th gear pops out, looking for rebuild kit. V5M21 1993 Strada TDI

Hey there

I'm looking for some concrete information on what USDM equivalent rebuild kit will work for the V5M21 transmission out of a 1993 Strada. It has a 4d56 turbo engine in it. It is 4wd.

I tried asking a few parts stores around here but they just give me the old "Oh it's right hand drive, so we aren't touching it"

From what I can tell, this transmission came in the Montero and the Dodge D50, but I'm having trouble finding a rebuild kit for it still. Is it just getting to be too old?

The Strada is in very mint shape, so it would be a shame to get rid of it for just some transmission issues...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    you might get lucky and its just the detent ball. on the 2 bolts on the passenger side (rhd passenger side) its the top one.

YOu can search for L200's and Tritons as well if you want to go international. A quich search finds a couple of places here in nz that has kits

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The transmissions are THE SAME FOR LHD and RHD. All mechanical part numbers are cross compatible and are the same as well. A quick check on the transmission numbers will verify that. There are rebuild kits for them but they mostly comprise of synchro rings, bearings and seals/gaskets. There are gear cluster shafts as well but I think your issue will be a selector fork/rod issue as tortron has suggested. A bad bearing 'can' cause 4th/5th gear pop outs but it's normally something related to the selector forks or the main gear selector linkage.

Array
    Status
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Strada
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The transmissions are THE SAME FOR LHD and RHD. All mechanical part numbers are cross compatible and are the same as well. A quick check on the transmission numbers will verify that. There are rebuild kits for them but they mostly comprise of synchro rings, bearings and seals/gaskets. There are gear cluster shafts as well but I think your issue will be a selector fork/rod issue as tortron has suggested. A bad bearing 'can' cause 4th/5th gear pop outs but it's normally something related to the selector forks or the main gear selector linkage.
    At this point, the transmission will not engage any gears now. I'll pull the transmission and take a look. I know a good mechanic friend, and he knows his way around transmissions, so he will help investigate the internals.

That being said, is the v5m21, v5mt1, and the km series transmissions all mechanically the same? I know some gear ratios will be different, but honestly that's not very important to me, so long as the parts are cross compatible. I know I'll be looking to the USA for parts. I'd much rather put in a rebuilt transmission instead of a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    you might get lucky and its just the detent ball. on the 2 bolts on the passenger side (rhd passenger side) its the top one.

YOu can search for L200's and Tritons as well if you want to go international. A quich search finds a couple of places here in nz that has kits
    Could you send me the link? I found some from Autozone but they don't list the v5m21, just the v5mt1