Array
    Status
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

rear end issues

hey hey. ive been reading a lot of the threads on this site lately and figured ide have to join. i have a lowered, 2wd 1990 MM with the 4 cylinder 2.4L engine and unfortunaterly, a welded rear diff. i call her Lowla. the guy i bought it from said i could fix that for around $100 and a few hours of my time. problem is im not sure what im supposed to replace. im not familiar with rear ends or differentials, is there a different rear end i can just bolt right in? do i just need a diff or the rear axle assembally? i dont wanna do anything crazy if i dont have to, im looking for the quick, easy, and inexpensive fix.

Also looking for a new grille. i can only find stock ones, is there a good place i can get a nicer looking mesh or billet grille? does the 93-96 grille fit the 1990?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Hi. You should be able to take the diff nugget (the snout and the gears attached) and replace your welded one with that. I would suggest just getting a complete diff and swapping it in

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. As tortron has suggested, it will be easier and most likely cheaper to pick a complete rear from a JY and swap it in. Mighty Max came with both open differential and LSD's. It will make life easier for you as well if you can rope a friend in to help you. This is a straight forward swap and the only tool you might need out of the ordinary is a flare nut wrench for the brake lines (the extra pair of hands will also be helpful when you bleed the rear brakes after the swap). Should be able to pull it off in a few hours. Welded diffs are one of the most ill advised mods to perform. With these trucks completely unnecessary due to the availability of LSD as a factory option (they work well too when serviced).

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the 93 - 96 grille fits the 1990 - I put an 96 grille on my Dad's 88 Macrocab, so I know it fits with no difference to mounting attachments.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980