Thread: And so it begins...

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I finally located that blasted switch! I had popped that cover off before but didn't see anything behind it. I wrongly thought the switch (was expecting a button) would be right behind the cover.. the other day I popped it back off and pulled the little flashlight I always have on me off my pocket and looked back in there... well, I'll be... all that time. Little bugger is recessed way back there.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I think it's got a bad rear wheel bearing, on the drivers side... twice now it's like the brakes have been biting hard on that wheel... pulling the truck over that side a little and really bogging it like your on the brakes, but I don't see how the hydraulic brakes could do it... and I don't see how the parking break could do it without the cable being pulled. And even then it wouldn't be one wheel unless adjustment was way out of whack with the cables. When it happened the first time it wasn't AS bad as the 2nd time.. I pulled over though and didn't smell brakes, didn't see any smoke or steam (was raining) and right before I pulled over it had "let go" so I went on down the road.. not 30seconds later the 2nd occurance but bad enough I had to give it a lot of gas to maintain speed for a few moments then it seemed to finally, gradually "let go". Hasn't happened since.. the only thing I can think is wheel bearing? I don't hear any odd noises from the wheel, this week end I think I'll jack up the rear and see if there's any odd play in it from side to side or resistance to roll that seems abnormal.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Are you sure it isn't the front caliper locking up? Mine does that, on occasion, and the symptoms were identical to what you've shared.

Next time that happens, feel the FRONT rim near the center, and see if it's hot. If it is, you located the problem.

Glad you found that illusive reset button
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Finally got that extra engine up on a stand. Now to find a DOHC cylinder head. I got an old 14b laying around that needs a rebuild... It turns over, about all I know about it until I tear it down though. Hopefully the block is good, don't really care about the cyl head.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Try to find an old Hyundai twin cam head. There are subtle differences between 1G and 2G heads. 1G will need the least amount of guesswork (bolt diameters and oil galleries) I'd love to build an NA tuned twin 2.0 but with a twist - no injection. A nice big set of bike carbs on a hand made manifold, 20 hours of port work and some stainless headers. You can't mess with valve timing too much on the DOHC heads without modifying pistons and ramping valve lift is an even worse idea than with the single cammer. Can't wait to see where you're going on this
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I thought about it, but only to stay stupid simple and not need a nearly 30 year old ECU (potentially). But I'm not sure how you could setup the ignition on a DOHC head without the ECU. So, if you're going to have to use the ECU for ignition, might as well just use the fuel injection.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Stand alone ignition off the CAS should do the trick. Other option is a trigger wheel off the crank. Meh, I'd be happy getting it set up on the SOHC to be honest. I'd need to knock the valve guides out of the head I've already ported and take out the shrouds to maximise flow. Then design an air plenum to duct an air charge from out of the engine bay. Monkeys might fly out of my butt too...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Stand alone ignition off the CAS should do the trick. Other option is a trigger wheel off the crank. Meh, I'd be happy getting it set up on the SOHC to be honest. I'd need to knock the valve guides out of the head I've already ported and take out the shrouds to maximise flow. Then design an air plenum to duct an air charge from out of the engine bay. Monkeys might fly out of my butt too...
    Yeah, I just don't see the point for a SOHC head. Unless one just falls into my lap. I wont be looking for one until around spring. In the mean time I'll be tearing down this engine, and checking it all over. And getting it ready to build assuming it's a good block, crank etc.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    So, not really tearing it down right this second, nor cleaning it, just wanted to pop the pan off and see if there was anything crazy in there.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Mmmm, that looks tasty. It also looks like it had a mechanical oil pressure gauge feed on it (which probably broke off and caused the engine to dump it's blood everywhere). Where on earth did you get this engine? Mine was in a bad state when I picked it up off a pallet but this looks like it was buried somewhere (no chunks of metal sitting in there which is a good sign) Gen 1 rods & bottom end are hell tough but oil recirculation needs to be worked on. Ditch the balance shafts and use a later oil pump - this will improve things.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, I'm going to get out to the shop at some point soon and pull the rod caps and see what the bearings look like. Hopefully nothing to crazy. Right and pretty cool out, and I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567