Thread: And so it begins...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Some jobs that look like they're in the 'too hard' basket can be a cake walk opportunity for someone else. A running truck for next to no outlay except for maybe a weekend and some gaskets? I'd be up for that

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Someone on one of the DSM forums was telling me the engine I got in the bed of the truck is actually the G54? (off to do research...may actually walk up to the shop and look at the engine block for the code. But It was BARELY still visible on the G63B.
    g54b

g54b

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...it's a 4G63 (G63B) engine. Carb paired port intake manifold + plastic timing cover is the give away. And you can be sure it's a RWD mounted engine by the pulleys, the water pump and the fact the thermostat housing is located at the timing belt end of the engine.

*it's also the updated engine by the design of the intake manifold.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Did a bit of research last night and also noted the 4G54/G54B uses a timing chain, not a belt. So yeah definately the G63B/sohc 4G63. My father's going to give me an old engine stand, I think I'll crack her open and see what shape it's in this summer. Having two engines assuming theirs nothing wrong with this one will be neat for sure.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    https://i.imgur.com/LXhw61S.jpg

At work on my cell so I can't resize and post the pictures but here's a link to the hold down, just finished and installed it. Now I just have to change the oil and filter before my son's soccer practice when I get home.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The toughest battery clamp I've ever seen. You can barrel roll that sucker all day and I can guarantee it's not going anywhere. Nice work

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The toughest battery clamp I've ever seen. You can barrel roll that sucker all day and I can guarantee it's not going anywhere. Nice work
    Thanks!

Now that I'm home I'll post the resized pic for the lazy people, because, clicking is hard.

Also took a moment after changing the oil to wipe a few things down with a gasoline soaked rag.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I just realized since the the flywheel on the engine in the truck is missing teeth somewhere, (since it happens every once in a while I have to push the truck and pop the clutch to get it to turn past the damged area) I can probably just take the flywheel and or maybe clutch if its in better condition off the G63B I got with the truck and toss them on the one in the truck! (assuming it's got all it's teeth). Hopefully, because that would be another practically free repair! ( I love those)

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Any idea where I could order a replacement hood proper clip and the grommet thing that holds it in at the bottom?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A cleaning tip - use *non caustic oven cleaner. It's cleaner to work with, makes short work of engine bay gunk, is usually cheaper than spray on degreaser and doesn't leave an EPA coloured rainbow running down your driveway. One can is enough to do an engine bay. Spray it on, break it up with a brush and hose it off (better if you have a pressure cleaner). I would go through a couple of cans of degreaser to get similar results. Safe enough to spray on your hands without ruining them (or them stinking like kerosene afterwards - and it's awesome for cleaning your hands with after working on a dirty engine)

*Can't stress this point enough - make sure it's non caustic oven cleaner. The caustic based stuff will destroy all in it's path - paint, plastic, wiring, rubber, alloy... the non caustic stuff is safe enough to spray straight on your hands as I mentioned earlier.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Geezer - I took the liberty of posting this on Why Didn't I Think Of That ?

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post59901

As always, your expertise is appreciated.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Roy. It's one of those things I randomly post up around the site. And as with all advice, you gotta take it with a pinch of salt (and a healthy tablespoon of skepticism). I could've saved myself a ton of effort if I knew about the oven cleaner trick, the diesel engine flush looked like a sure fire way to blow the bottom end of an engine to pieces in 2 minutes but it works brilliantly, and my engine tuning tip - well, I discovered this after a frustrating experience with a car I had a while ago. I'm waiting to get some feedback on that tip but from what I gained out of it was literally like finding out you've been driving with a dragging hand brake...

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Anyone know where I can find the clip and grommet for the hood prop? Also, anyone know what the RWD, 5 speed 4G...G63B trucks weighed?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperXX View Post
    Anyone know where I can find the clip and grommet for the hood prop? Also, anyone know what the RWD, 5 speed 4G...G63B trucks weighed?
    4,045 lbs/1,835 kgs. Allegedly from my online search. but I'm sure the base model RWD truck weighed in about 1215 kgs which is more believable.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh, as for the hood support, I'm seriously looking at these for my own truck (might require modifying the installation) -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Hood-....c100005.m1851

...or pretty red ones -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Front-...hadEMR&vxp=mtr

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Ha, I was looking at the same thing today. Even got the measuring tape out

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Oh, as for the hood support, I'm seriously looking at these for my own truck (might require modifying the installation) -

...or pretty red ones -

While I'm sure I could make those work. I like the KISS (Keep it stupid simple) nature of this truck. Those gas struts always eventually fail. A metal rod, not so much. I may just have to take my best guess and order some for a Ford, Toyota or GM product that look like a very close match.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

...or pretty red ones -

this is wild i bought some struts about a month ago for my delta toolbox that didn't fit right. so i got to thinking about attaching them to my hood and now here you guys are talking about doing the same thing. i just need to figure out how to mount them they are 9 inch struts and from what i have seen by placing them in there it will work. just need the pins that the struts attach to. i,m going to be watching this to see what else you guys .come up with.

just found this
    http://lstechnologies.ca/products/br...teel-brackets/
    better yet
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ckets&_sacat=0

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Everything mechanical is prone to failure... but it would be good to pop the hood and not have a metal rod barring you from full access around the engine bay. And the hood rod has a tendency to rattle when the grommet and/or rod anchor clip comes apart. If the 2 gas strut assemblies I added links to are generic parts then at some point I won't be needing to replace the mounting pins and brackets, just the struts. And I do agree with you, why complicate something by adding a potentially weak link? And then you start digging into the bones of these trucks - brakes aren't great, cooling system will cut it up to a point, lighting is crap when you need it, electrics don't like accessories added to them. You get the picture. Don't get me wrong, the MM's and related trucks do their funky thing admirably - but there's scope for improvement. End rant

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperXX View Post
    If you happen to find that grommet somewhere please let us know. I have searched my local auto parts stores to make something work, but I haven't found anything and since my PU doesn't have it anymore I don't even know what it looked like originally.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by GPD294 View Post
    If you happen to find that grommet somewhere please let us know. I have searched my local auto parts stores to make something work, but I haven't found anything and since my PU doesn't have it anymore I don't even know what it looked like originally.
    here is what i found i think i,m going to try and make something that will work. there are all kinds of possibility's here at least it's a starting point.
    http://www.siraweb.com/filterSearch?q=bracket

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Is a part missing!? I can't tell for sure but it's as if there is. It looks as if the cables are adjusted about as far as they can be. and adjusting the rachet piece in the hub much results in not being able to put the drum back on. Which BTW since it hasn't been off in several years I'm sure holy crap! I had a greaking go-devil tapping it pretty hard with a propane torch heating the drum near the axle/hub until the thing was hot enough with my gloves on it was uncomfortable to touch the wheel studs to turn it when it finally broke lose. I was about ready to just go hulk on it and say "screw it, if it breaks I don't think drums are that expensive". Luckily it broke lose before that point because I spent over an hour I'm sure on just getting the drum off.

Here's pics of the cables and brakes.

To me, I don't understand how when the cables pulled, and pulling that large lever/arm forward is supposed to spread the shoes, because it just has the one pivot point it's on at the top, it comes forward contacts the rachet lever/release lever? and they both go forward but that's it.....they don't do anything near as I can tell. What the heck?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Looks like you will need new cables if they are stretched right out.
    I don't see anything missing, there's an exploded diagram in the manual on here that you can check

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    They can stretch???

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Well, I'm not seeing them listed on RockAuto... any source for the cables? BTW part of the reason I thought something is wrong is it looks like the spring that returns the cables in the drum is, or is nearly fully compressed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast