Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Automatic Transmission Problems

Hey guys been a while but i'm back just bought another truck a couple of days ago. 88 extended cab d50 G54B AW372 160k pretty sure all original mechanically

Previous owner told me sometimes the trans has to warm up before it will shift smoothly but when i test drove it it drove fine. I've since put about 150 miles on the truck since then and last night on my way to work the truck wouldn't come out of first about 2 miles down the road but it shifted fine all the way through the gears until then. The truck was at operating temperature when i left the house so that isn't the issue.

Just got home from work and let it warm up again and the same thing happens. I have reverse and can feel a difference in lo and 2nd but in drive it wont ever come out of first.

What do you guys suggest i look into? do you think this trans is toast and i'm going to have to get it to rebuild or is this a symptom of the overdrive sensor going out?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Check the kickdown linkage - if it sticks , it could act like the throttle is to the floor when its not. Left like that, it will fry the tranny. You may need a return spring on it to pull it back - I had to do that on my 91 Dogkota with the A500 tranny - it stuck all the time until I did that
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Check the fluid too. Low or burnt will make them play up
    Probably due for a filter and flush

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Fluid level is good and red doest smell burnt or seem that dirty. Is the kickdown connected to the bottom side of the throttle cable bracket? Theres a cable coming from the trans uo to that and it has alot of slack. Il see if i csn post a pic real quick

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Throttle linkage behind hand
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yep that's the kickdown - and it does look like it needs adjusting.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Yep that's the kickdown - and it does look like it needs adjusting.
    Any suggestions on adjusting it it doesnt feel like it will go back in or do i need to adjust it somewhere else?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If it don't go back in that is your problem - at no throttle there should only be a little slack on the cable. Go under the truck and move the kickdown arm that is attached to the cable to see if it will move there. The cable needs lubed, or your kickdown linkage is sticking.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That kickdown appears to be on a slide plate - undo the mounting bolt and try lowering the bracket (don't remove the bolt completely, just loosen it). If that isn't the case there will be a retaining nut on the end of the cable that you'll need to undo and then wind the cable end out (like the adjustment on a throttle or clutch cable). In a crappy spot to get to but simple enough to fix

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    But I wouldn't do that until you are sure the cable is moving freely, and the arm isn't stuck. Mark the slide plate so you can return it to the place it was before you move it incase that is not the problem.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    But I wouldn't do that until you are sure the cable is moving freely, and the arm isn't stuck. Mark the slide plate so you can return it to the place it was before you move it incase that is not the problem.
    I went out and messed with it before i went to work today and got the cable to go back in but it feels like there is a lot of gunk in it. Whenever i push on the gas the cable wont retract again. Is there anything i can spray in the line to clear it out or lubricate it without doing any damage or making it just collect more dirt?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^solid advice from pennyman. Don't attempt adjusting until you know that is the issue. Give it a blast of WD40 and then work the cable manually. Really hose it down (it might take some time for it to flush out and actuate smoothly). Also inspect the cable sheath for signs of damage. If it's crushed, worn through or got a bad kink in it, you may be looking at a replacement kickdown cable.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I had to pick some parts up for the other mighty max today and had them look to see if a new cable was available for the d50 and they couldnt find one. Does anyone know where to find a new one or can ig be replaced with a generic cable like a throttle cable?

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by t97 View Post
    I had to pick some parts up for the other mighty max today and had them look to see if a new cable was available for the d50 and they couldnt find one. Does anyone know where to find a new one or can ig be replaced with a generic cable like a throttle cable?
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cable&_sacat=0

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You might be able to make a new cable depending on the ends on it. The WD-40 could work, or charcoal lighter fluid if its really gummed up. Take both ends of the cable off the linkages, soak, then pull the cable in and out until it is free.
    Pennyman1