Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 lug hubs: the simple solution.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

5 lug hubs: the simple solution.

Let's get this out of the way. SO MANY threads and articles have been done about Toyota hubs, brake modifications, etc, etc.
    What a bunch of crap!
    Want to get five lugs wheels on your truck? Moser Engineering will redrill your factory hubs and axles, all four of them, for $160.00. Done, done correctly, no hassles. Never worry about how you have to order parts, what weird hybrid of mis matched equipment you've created. Remove, send, pay, re-install, go down the road.
    How simple can it be?
    Now I have to admit, I was chasing the Toyota parts thing myself until I went to a dragstrip in Tennessee while my brother and I were searching for his old Pro Stock Hemi Duster last year. I saw a little 1st gen Mitsu truck running a Mopar V8, and noticed the five lug wheels he had on it and asked him if he had the Toyota hubs on it. He just looked at me funny and said, "no, I had Moser redrill the factory hubs and axles"...Bingo! Lights went off; bells rang, I called Moser, sure enough they do it for $80.00 an axle, (meaning front hubs or rear axles, per pair).
    So there it is, no hassles, no muss, no fuss.
    I hope that helps people. Moser is probably not the only folks who do that type work, and really, any competent machine shop should be able to do the job correctly...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what about the drums - who drills those? Or do you send them with the axles?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That is a very valid point on the drums. Some people want to swap to the Toyota rear end or the ford 8.8 for the option of going to rear disc brakes. What about when your drums are out of specifications and need to be replaced? Redrilling may not be best for the long run but I understand about the mix matched parts. As long as you know what you need and can remember it I'm sure you'll get by.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by foolonthehill View Post
    I called Moser, sure enough they do it for $80.00 an axle, (meaning front hubs or rear axles, per pair).
    huh. when I first looked at that option I thought it was $80 per axle shaft. I'll have to definitely do the rears now.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    what about the drums - who drills those? Or do you send them with the axles?
    they can do the drums to, but is extra. You could also swap Mitsubishi Van drums which are 5 lug and use the same brake shoes, so they must be the same diameter.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

If I were keeping the factory rear end, I'd probably get new drums to redrill, and that's a good question and point to bring up.
    I am installing a Mopar 8.75 rear in my truck, because 1) I'm a Mopar guy and 2) because they take about 15% less H.P. to turn than a Ford 9" and finally, because there's an awsome disc brake bolt on kit for them for under $400.00 that includes everything.
    I had bought a LSD (limited slip differential, Or Posi to you Chevy guys) for my truck, but knew the ratios available weren't what I needed. I was going to redrill the rear axle if I used that.
    Now, with the 8.75 Mopar rear, I've got a 2:76 gear ratio, which means my engine will turn about 2,750 RPM at 80 M.P.H. on the highway. The truck weighs 2,700 lbs with the V8 in it. It doesn't need taller gears to get moving, quickly.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I know an A-body 8 3/4 rear fits with just spring perch mods width wise - at least 1 guy in the Pittsburgh area is running the setup under his 1st gen D-50 with a built Mopar 340 or 360, don't remember which.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Wish you could have posted this a month ago before I sent my rear axles to a guy on another forum to get redrilled for $300.... oh well thanks for the info

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

Ouch! Moser'll sell you custom length axles for that much!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    great news to find out....was starting my search for five lug....

thanks.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    FYI - I did post the A body 8 3/4 rear info on the forum a few months ago in another thread; the A body 8 3/4 is not as common and therefore more money than other 8 3/4, but can take up to v8 Hemi power.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

Right- 8.75's are rare enough especially compared to 9" Ford's, the "A" body rear's even more so. I just drove a 10 hour round trip to buy two complete 8.75's. They're "B" body rears, so too wide, but I'm having them narrowed to exactly what I want. They are virtually indestructable, and as mentioned, take less H.P. than the Ford to turn.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Wow. Thats a far drive. Determination right there.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    foolonthehill....i can see that you are gonna have some sticky-threads for us.. since you have all this knowlege and experience..

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    They both do. But I'm sure it's more along the lines of "ask the right questions and the right answer will pop up" kinda thing.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    They both do. But I'm sure it's more along the lines of "ask the right questions and the right answer will pop up" kinda thing.
    and im sure that a lot of right questions will be asked along the way..

the moser info was great btw...thanks again

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    what do ya do about the large hub?...5 lug rims still wont fit without boring them out will they?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Interesting question - it depends on the wheels you are using - never thought about that myself. A redrill alone will not solve the large hub issue...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The toyota front hubs have a small hub on them, my aftermarket rims fit on no problem. The back axles would have the hub/centering ring turned down by whoever redrills them, that's what is being done to mine.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i thought about the redrill and having the hub turned down for the front....but the back i never really thought much cause id like to have disk, so a toyota swap would be in order..

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I think i know which guy you're talking about with the 340 powered D50. Not him personally, but the guy who helped him build the truck.

Yeah the A-Body 8-3/4" fetches a decent price tag, and the bolt pattern for it is 5 on 4" (not the more common 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5"), which means new Axleshafts if you want a different bolt pattern.

I've got an A-Body 8-3/4" under my '71 426 Hemi Demon, it came with a 489 Chunk/Center Section (the desireable chunk) Open-3.23's. Last time i bought a 8-3/4" i paid $150 total for the Housing, Axle Shafts, and 2 Chunks (489 Sure Grip 3.23 and a 741 Sure Grip 3.23) It was a B-Body 8-3/4 (3" Wider than the A-Body, 1.5" per side) I installed that under my '74 Duster and robbed the Backing Plates & Hardware from an 8-1/4" Rear.

At one time i did have a 4.10 geared 489 Sure Grip Chunk in my Duster, but i had a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground, so i swapped to 3.23's.

Also the Dodge Dakota (Earl7 Dak's, the first 2 or 3 years i beleive) ran 5-Lugs and the Rear is about 2" wider than the stock D50 rear. Should be a Chrysler 8.25" Rear, although i've heard some stories about 7.25's showing up in them too.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

Whoa! I just got a kick in the gut, or backside, or maybe both! So we finally got my front hubs sent to Moser, and guess what? NO DICE! After the guy in Tennessee told me Moser redrilled his hubs, after corresponding with a Moser Tech guy, Moser comes back and tells me the way the Mitsu front hubs are designed, they can't redrill.
    I wanted to get this out as quick as I could and save anyone else the hassle.
    I screwed up, and I appologize for passing on incorrect information!
    Now, off to find the right model Toy hubs, I've got 15" 5 on 4.5 wheels on the way!...

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Might as well get Toyota front hubs anyways. You can get the hubs from a junkyard for much cheaper then getting the Mitsu hub redrilled, and the wheel bearings are the exact same size(ID) as the mitsu spindle is so everything bolts right up.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

I'm guessing this is just the old Toyota HiLux type pickup?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yes, I believe the years are 89-95. And I used 95.5-01? Tacoma rotors. Shimmed the caliper with like a 1/16" washer or somewhere around there, you'll be able to figure the exact amount pretty easily.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B-T
    Here's a more detailed swap info. The link is from the old board.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/phpbb3/vi...70&t=267#p1515

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast