Array
    Status
    Washington dc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Clutch questions

Recently bought an 89 Ram 50 2wd with G63B engine and 5 speed transmission. The engine runs fine but the truck will not move. When you put it gear and release the clutch pedal it does nothing almost like its in neutral. Bought a clutch kit and started removing the transmission. When I was disconnecting the shifter I noticed the mounting bolts were really loose and the little grommet at the base was shattered. Got all the little pieces out and am looking for a replacement. Dropped the transmission and the pressure plate fingers were shiny towards the center like they got polished. The clutch looked like it needed replacement but Im wondering if there should be anything else I should check before putting everything back together. I’ve had clutches go bad in other vehicles before but they would slip and the vehicle would move a bit. I have a couple pics but I’ll have to load them when I get home. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The nylon bush at the end of the shifter lever is available. Replace the thrust/throw out bearing as well (should be in the kit). Also be aware that there are different bearings and they have different amounts of travel. If you replace the bearing and can't get gear engagement, check the bearing. If you have a sloppy shifter lever and can't feel any of the gears being selected, it has dropped the selector forks. This can be rectified without pulling the trans apart - just requires feeling your way through the selector and 'fishing' for them. You'll know when you've got them back into place.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, jr89, welcome to the forum.

Pilot bearing comes to mind. Also be sure to NOT LOSE that ball bearing in the back-up light connection. The plastic grommet you mentioned is available but I think it's special order - members, please correct me if I'm mistaken. Lastly, get some JB Blaster on the clutch bolts (if you haven't removed them, yet) so they have a chance to soak.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    can be ordered from the Mitsu dealer, or a Hyundai dealer. About 5 bucks from Mitsubishi, less from Hyundai.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington dc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the replies. I did notice the pilot bearing wasn’t fully seated, but I’m thinking the input shaft may have snagged it as I removed the transmission. I freaked out when I saw that ball bearing laying on the ground, but I researched it and figured out where it went. Clutch lever and springs looked to be in good shape. Going to try and get the flywheel off today so I can get that resurfaced. Hope to get this on the road soon.

Array
    Status
    Washington dc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Anyone happen to have a part number for the shifter base bushing?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Just as a note, and not to sell anything - I have the clutch assembly AND a 5 speed transmission from an '89 G63B, should you need any of it...and I'm only 90 miles away from you. (I had hoped to use them in my own truck, but they won't work in a 4G64). Do be sure to replace the throw-out bearing with a new one (goes without saying, but never hurts to remind). I hope your project goes well, jr89
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Washington dc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Small world Royster. I got a buddy that lives out in Toms Brook. I’m good on the clutch assembly. The company I bought mine from messed up and sent me an extra one but didn’t charge me. I may take you up on that offer for the transmission. Always good to have spares.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm 1 mile from Toms Brook Maurertown is right next door to it.

You're welcome to the transmission, if you want it - I'll never be able to use it, and have had no takers locally. The truck I took it out of had 155,000 miles. Also have a drive shaft. In fact, here's the truck it came out of http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hp?albumid=420

Cheers !

Array
    Status
    Washington dc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I’m a little slow with the updates. Clutch went in easy and got the shifter bushing replaced. Truck is inspected and on the road. Next on the agenda is stereo install, and Weber upgrade.