Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

msd 6a digital and blaster coil

im sure this must have been posted in here some where but i havnt found an answer yet so here we go on my 87 g54b ive so far replaced the jet head with a non jet head, now using mechical rockers( stll working on adjustments ,, but just about got it ).. i have a weber 3236 w/electric choke a pace setters header i have a slightly larger exhaust pipe running through a 3.0 mitsubishi muffler and had replaced the mechical fan with an electric one today i ordered my electric fuel pump cause the stock one bit the big one... now after that my question?? will putting an msd box and coil on make a noticable differance and if so what might it do???

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    To be honest, no. I don't think the MSD6A is worth the effort or money. There are direct replacement transformer type coils that will work perfectly without trying to factor in impedance/resistance etc. They are capable of making a way stronger spark than the factory oil filled coil (stronger spark = cleaner burn) Ebay is your buddy - prices are from as low as $10 to really stupid like $100. I'll tell a story that went around the drag strips here in Australia. Guy was running a big boosted RX3 coupe with a 13B turbo. His MSD ignition bit it on the second pass and he still wanted to do a few more passes before the night was up, so out of desperation he installed the stock ignition and dialled it in. He made some of the best passes he'd pulled out of the car that night on the stock ignition.

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    thank you again .. maybe thats why i couldnt find any thing on the msd box do you have any suggestions on a particular coil???
    thx again
    bill

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are a ton of similar coils on ebay and will depend on how you want to hook it up. But I would recommend a coil with a ballast resistor already mounted to it just to make it less of a headache - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-UNI...RZr7OP&vxp=mtr

if you want to open up your options - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk....6&_sacat=6030

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    thank you again i was reading where the big block chevy fuel pump blocking plate with minor mods will mount over our fuel pump and egr holes next project . i should have it back on the roads in a week or so im hooking up a relay powered strip for my fuel pumo carb choke and electric fan using the electric choke from my stock carb to trigger the relay on the strip that way ill have a keyed on and off for all three the choke will be a direct wire and the fan will be to trigger power to it still activated by the thermo swuitch and the fuel pump will be a direct wire ill run a #8 wire to the strip more than heavy enough and the strip is fused should be just fine i like the coil you recomenended does that one throw a hotter spark??
    thx again
    bill

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A healthy, stock oil filled ignition coil will put out about 30kV. The solid state transformer coils put out 40kV+ (I've been booted by one of these things - it'll make your eyes sweat lol)

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ok sound s good and thank you again when i replace my fuel pump theres gonna be a return or a vapor line doing nothing can i just plug that off???
    tyhx again
    Bill

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If your Weber doesn't have a return line or a fuel bowl vent then don't worry about them. However I'd be careful about plugging up the vapour line, it can do weird things like causing a 'vacuum lock'. What happens is the fuel tank develops a vacuum and you end up with fuel starvation as the pump can't siphon fuel against the negative pressure in the tank. The engine conks out, you open the fuel cap and it runs. I'd keep the charcoal cannister and hook it up to the air filter if you're running one of those 'open air' filter elements. Most of them come with a provision to connect the vent line to it through the base plate.

*I would cap off the return fuel line just to prevent debris/water from getting into it and possibly contaminating fuel.

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    thank you again the fuel return line was the one o was worried abouti dont know if my float bowel has a vent ive removed or had my emissions all remopved where i live its not manditory lol lucky mei should have my truck up and running by wed im pretty stoked about it before changing the head and adding the header i was averaging 44mpg im kinda waiting to see if that changes ,, pretty good for a 4wd truck
    thx again
    Bill

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    44 mpg ? that is phenomenal for any of these trucks. What was pushing it from behind to get that kind of mileage?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    one of the great things about living where i do is polution is not a problem one of the things i have done is remove all emissions devices my weber 3236 dosnt use the ait filter and box supplied redilne makes a direct bolt on accessory that allows me to put a regular off the shelf air filter i believe that it allows my motor to breath better. i have a slighty larger exhaust pipe coming off my header running through a stock 3.0 v 6 muffler the motor makes really good usable power so i dont have to rev the motor so i drive prettyt conservatly i rarly go over 3000 rpm and in over drive on the freeway it goes 65.70 mph its probably my litght touch foot that makes the most of the millage. my daughter lives 105 miles from my home with a full tank up and back the needle moes avout 1/2 the width of itself... eve4n if i tromp on it it still does pretty well..

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    hope you dont mind me asking i recieved my new pump ( the one you reccomeded) ,, ive been readsing that the electric pumps are better pushers than pullers. i was kinda hoping to mount the pump to the fenderwell verses up by the tank ,, mostly due to ease of maintaince what are your thought on that???
    again thanks for your advise and patience
    Bill

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the pump is a pusher and will not pull fuel from the tank, especially that far from the tank. I made a plate that mounts between the bed mounts beside the tank that makes getting to the pump and Fram style cartridge fuel filter easy to access.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    thank you i will mount the pump closer to the tank then i was kinda afraid it might not work as a puller just a thought the tank mounted fuel injection pump mounted in the tank utilizing a pressure regulator so my weber would like it might work .. i was reading about a throttle body system that i believe would bolt on to our trucks now wouldnt that be tricky???
    thanks again
    Bill

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Conquest engines use a single injector system (as fuel delivery for a turbocharged engine) or you can go the whole hog and get your hands on a factory MPI intake manifold from an Australian built Mitsubishi Magna (it is designed for FWD so the plenum requires a modification to swap the end where the throttle body is mounted)

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    that sounds like alot of work i starting to relize that the starion parts are great mods this throttle body i was looking at is made by holly and im sure its not cheap but a guy can dream im goona keep my weber for now fuewl injection would be great but im old school and would rather be able to work on it lol i have to many projects as it is now i hace a 1971 kiser jeepster commando in near pristine condition that ive been ignoring and lol my son and son inlaw arnt letting me forget it they both want it but i have over 5 years in it and only the auto part god know what ive spent on it. lol ive told them in my will ill leave it to some one right now im just having fun with my power ram 50 i still have a few things i have to get done ive gotta swap out the front differential still to match the gear ratios and reinstall the ac summewrs coming soon and the bed i replaced still has a few dents in it ive goot pull out.. my son convinced my the pdr method will work so im waiting on all of it to show up after i get that done and preped for paint ill be closer yesterday i priced a new windshield installed my last d 50 cost 300.00 the dealer i went to quoted me 150.00 so thats a go soon plus im gonna replace the dash lights with leds and change out my generator freom a 45 watt to a 85 watt its just the never ending quest to improve.. gawd when i die some ones getting a nice little truck
    thanks
    Bill